• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t think I’ve ever denied Britain’s geographically advantages that no doubt inhibited Nazi Germany’s casual sojourn across our continent 80 years ago.
That said it was not a given that Britain would carry on the fight (alone in 1940) post Dunkirk and there were many voices here encouraging Churchill to let Hitler have his mainland European gains and sue for ‘peace’. A peace that would’ve saved our own skins but meant that mainland Europe would’ve probably been under the boot of German fascism for a lot longer than four years I would suggest.
Yes true and Hitler very much wanted to forge a peace with the British Empire to pursue his ambitions Eastwards. With Britain out of the War it was unlikely Uncle Sam would come in too.

Churchill had to fight the let's cave in Lord Halifax faction very hard. Fortunately the war cabinet Labour party members Clement Attlee and Arthur Greenwood as well as Liberal party leader Sir Archibald Sinclair had more balls than Halifax and a lot of the Conservative party. Had we given in then I am pretty sure Nazi Germany would have developed the A Bomb first with goodness only knows what consequences.

Grecian2K

Yes true and Hitler very much wanted to forge a peace with the British Empire to pursue his ambitions Eastwards. With Britain out of the War it was unlikely Uncle Sam would come in too.

Churchill had to fight the let's cave in Lord Halifax faction very hard. Fortunately the war cabinet Labour party members Clement Attlee and Arthur Greenwood as well as Liberal party leader Sir Archibald Sinclair had more balls than Halifax and a lot of the Conservative party. Had we given in then I am pretty sure Nazi Germany would have developed the A Bomb first with goodness only knows what consequences.
I think that it's well proven historical fact that quite a few prominent members of "the establishment" in the 1930 held hardly disguised Nazi sympathies, urged on by their MSM of choice, the Daily Mail.

Oldsmobile-88

Still a few problems in Northern Ireland despite 22 years of the peace accord.

elginCity

Glad to see too that they're not discriminating. Of course the Wail and the Torygraph will focus on the poor British drivers, lol.
S'right, they're not discriminatory in the slightest, being on Dutch soil, they could choose to communicate with the drivers in Dutch, what a hoot ! Imagine the chaos and outrage in the Wail - Rule Brexitannia.

Mr Jinx

S'right, they're not discriminatory in the slightest, being on Dutch soil, they could choose to communicate with the drivers in Dutch, what a hoot ! Imagine the chaos and outrage in the Wail - Rule Brexitannia.
On the plus side, UK drivers will no longer have to pay fines when driving in Europe That will make the annual pilgrimage down to Le Mans a bit more interesting, when it's back on that is.

lamrobhero

You’re right to flag up a not widely known aspect of the Nazi German occupation in the Netherlands during the last war. I take it that was the point you’re making? 👍
As you asked me to spell it out (though I am not sure you really need me to). I referred to a famine in the context of a remark about rejecting food and not beiing picky which some thought was funny.

Alistair20000

As you asked me to spell it out (though I am not sure you really need me to). I referred to a famine in the context of a remark about rejecting food and not beiing picky which some thought was funny.
I read Tavy’s post as the Dutch not being picky about our role in the liberation of Holland that commenced in 1944 rather than anything to do with the food famine.

arthur

I read Tavy’s post as the Dutch not being picky about our role in the liberation of Holland that commenced in 1944 rather than anything to do with the food famine.
Interesting that the countries actually occupied by Germans are OK with being in a Union with them whereas our glorious island nation seems to find it impossible to embrace the concept.

And that those who most buy into this enduring folk myth, that we defeated the third reich during which the Soviets and Americans were mere bit part players, are not those who fought in the war, but those born in the 25 years after it.

Still as "not that long ago" to quote Tavy, becomes "a lifetime ago" for most people under 40, maybe things will eventually change.

Last edited:

elginCity

I guess those countries 'actually occupied' would have very good reason for embracing a peace project.

tavyred

Not surprised that an admittedly flippant remark that referenced a positive aspect of British history was enough to trigger the ‘self-loathers’ on here. 🙄