• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is one person's "news" is another's "tittle-tattle".

The media companies create news by choosing what to headline and focus on, as much as what slant is then put on it. There is then a 'herd mentality' to these topics.
That is where it becomes dangerous/influential depending on your point of view.

Watching the US networks coverage of the Trump disgrace last week shocked me how opinionated the presenters were. Not the interviewees, the presenters. If Huw Edwards or Tom Bradby did that, there would be outcry. They made Piers Morgan look like Richard Dimbleby.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, but at the end of the day you have a choice.

With American news, I had a choice of a number of channels. Sometimes I watched Fox, sometimes I watched CNN, sometimes I watched NBC. If I felt like I didn't want CNN's angle on things that particular day, guess what, I didn't watch it. Same went for Fox. I did wonder what the fuss about Brietbart was, so I did visit that site for a week or two but I found it ridiculous, so guess what, I stopped reading it! We really have to stop treating people like children.

In this day and age, with all the choices that are available, just let the people get on with it. As long as it's legal, what's the problem? If people can't find what they want in the public domain, they'll just go underground, and that presents other problems.
You do have a choice but unless you've got Statilite/Cable your choices are limited say on Freeview, They are full of those channels you say are biased.

tavyred

If there is that biased as you say, Didn't help much in 2019.
That’s where the accusation of the MSM being out of touch comes in I suppose.

Mr Jinx

You do have a choice but unless you've got Statilite/Cable your choices are limited say on Freeview, They are full of those channels you say are biased.
Just wondering what UK news programs are currently only available on Satellite/Cable? Even Sky News is now freely available. Not that I watch any of them any more. Sky News was my Alamo, but since their takeover and awokening, I've given them an Al special The Elbow.

elginCity

You don't have to watch it if you don't want to!
Yes, I do get that. It's the subtle 'shaping' of the news, airing of the lies, and then its consequences, as witnessed in the US. Dangerous.

Mr Jinx

Yes, I do get that. It's the subtle 'shaping' of the news, airing of the lies, and then its consequences, as witnessed in the US. Dangerous.
But we get that here anyway. Reference: Jon Snow and his "I've never seen so many white people" remark, which he got away with. He certainly wouldn't have had he said a different colour.

arthur

You don't have to watch it if you don't want to!
No, but I have to live in a society with people who do and who are at risk of believing whatever rubbish these news channels put out. I'm looking forward to lots of people believing that Labour stole the election in 2025 and Johnson has every right to remain as Prime Minister

BTW can you give me a recent example of BBC left wing bias?

Mr Jinx

We've had that here since the dawn of time. Well since the Sunday Sport, anyway. If people really want to read about ice cream vans found on the moon and really believe it, then let them. Like I said, especially these days, if it's legal then it should be allowed in the public domain, otherwise it'll just go underground.

DB9

Just wondering what UK news programs are currently only available on Satellite/Cable? Even Sky News is now freely available. Not that I watch any of them any more. Sky News was my Alamo, but since their takeover and awokening, I've given them an Al special The Elbow.
Other than those you've mentioned you Have RT (Russian) CCTV (Chinese) Nothing biased about those two! 🙄😄 Al Jazeera, A few French/European channels and US ones but most just cover their own countries and I guess are just feeds not "International" versions.

tavyred

Watching the US networks coverage of the Trump disgrace last week shocked me how opinionated the presenters were. Not the interviewees, the presenters. If Huw Edwards or Tom Bradby did that, there would be outcry. They made Piers Morgan look like Richard Dimbleby.
Absolutely RP.
It was truly shocking how the anchors were editorialising the story and basically at times borderline making stuff up. I got the impression they were not so much reporting on the story and it’s obvious ramifications but seizing on it as someone would if they trying to make the maximum political capital out of it.
I hope that sort of partisanship never becomes part of the political discourse over here.