• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
so no reason to grumble
Except you and many others like you still do.

People vs the Establishment isn't fiction, it was and still is a battle. What transpired though is, largely because of the force field that is fptp, to vote against the Establishment, this time last year people had to go and vote for...the Establishment (Tories). Over time, such people (myself included) will no doubt begin to feel let down. I'm already increasingly so now Cummings has gone. It just depends how let down they feel in four years I guess. I, for one, would have to feel pretty bloody let down to then go and vote for the embodiment of the metropolitan liberal elite. At least with Corbyn there was something of the common man and anti Establishment about him. Not so with Starmer.

Last edited:

arthur

At least with Corbyn there was something of the common man and anti Establishment about him.
You are very easily fooled aren't you. Corbyn - common man? Are you serious? Privately educated in Shropshire (achieving two Es at A level - surprised his parents didn't ask for their money back) then spends the rest of his life indulging in what is basically student politics which turned off traditional Labour voters (aka "common men") in their millions. As the Red Wall ex MPs and canvassers reported "for every one voter switching to the Tories because of Brexit, there were twenty doing so because of Corbyn"

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

Yes, we knew all that already. It's just that some people dressed it up as the rising up of The People against the establishment and, depressingly, an awful lot of people chose to go along with this fiction, for reasons best known to themselves. Who was backing Brexit - Hedge funders, city slickers like Farage, chancers like Arron Banks and Rees Mogg, who learnt all this stuff at his father's knee. Talk about hiding in plain sight.

And who's going to pay for this triumph of the warlord capitalists? Not so much the remainer elite, safe in their ivory towers making vaccines [bastards], but predominantly The People. Still, its what they voted for, so no reason to grumble
You might have known, but I'm not sure most people knew or wanted to know or even cared if they did know.
As the cliche goes, most of us are mere pawns on the elite's chessboard. We are constantly being taken for a ride.
And woe betide anyone from a working class background that challenges them: I saw that the Mail did a shameless job on Marcus Rashford. He had to be put back in his place.
At least the horror that was Trump is over - for the time being.

Rosencrantz

You are very easily fooled aren't you. Corbyn - common man? Are you serious? Privately educated in Shropshire (achieving two Es at A level - surprised his parents didn't ask for their money back) then spends the rest of his life indulging in what is basically student politics which turned off traditional Labour voters (aka "common men") in their millions. As the Red Wall ex MPs and canvassers reported "for every one voter switching to the Tories because of Brexit, there were twenty doing so because of Corbyn"
Whilst Starmer went to state school and Leeds University before going to Oxford and is very much self made. The power of presentation and perception.

tavyred

Triggered by your own country’s flag. Still some way to go for some who are trying convince us that Labour are worthy of our support again.

Mr Jinx

I said 'something of' which implies marginal. Yes, there was a grammar school education, but he didn't then go down the now normal route of Oxbrigdge PPE. Starmer also went to Grammar school and didn't do PPE, but he did do Oxbridge. And then you go off on the Red Wall tangent. If Corbyn had stuck to his guns and insisted on respecting the 2016 vote instead of taking advice from Starmer, there wouldn't have been such a collapse.

IndoMike

It is an interesting and informative take, indo, as are the following comments. A good read.

For the capitalism war also translates to the Tory blue-on-blue - 'warlord' Tories v 'housetrained' Tories civil war going on for eons now. The 'wets' v Thatcher and the 'bastards' v Major internecine warfare has morphed into the ERG/Vote Leave warlord faction now wielding power with all the one nation types expelled by the Johnson. The same PM who now shamelessly espouses the 'one nation' Tory party.

The question is...as ever - where do the Johnson convictions truly lie ? Or, does anybody notice the strings now Cummings has gone (allegedly).
Johnson has few convictions : in my opinion hedonism and fulfilling his birth right to be "a leader of men" and at the top table is what has driven him.
Brexit was not a conviction - he simply jumped on a bandwagon when he saw an opportunity. Now that's going to bite him in the arse.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
It appears we've regained of our waters..

Spoonz Red E

So long and thanks for all the fish ....

fred binneys head

I, for one, would have to feel pretty bloody let down to then go and vote for the embodiment of the metropolitan liberal elite. At least with Corbyn there was something of the common man and anti Establishment about him.
Didn’t you vote for Boris? 🤔