• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Business groups have lashed out at new government instructions to “follow” post-Brexit trading rules – when those rules are mired in confusion.

Firms still do not know whether tariffs will be levied on goods in six weeks’ time – the prospect if the UK fails to strike a trade deal – and many procedures for Northern Ireland are unknown".

Did I hear Borisse say this....?
"We demand BREXIT, but we haven't got a clue how to implement it. We've only known for 3 years that we're going to BREXIT. Never mind. I'm P. M now, which is the only thing I wanted. Running the country efficiently, effectively and with honesty is not a consideration. So there, Happy Campers. Jolly well fark off and stop complaining"

Mr Jinx

Ok, so it's in the Mail but it's from very much an ex Labour man who very succinctly writes how Labour lost the working class vote...

tavyred

Ok, so it's in the Mail but it's from very much an ex Labour man who very succinctly writes how Labour lost the working class vote...

The fella seems spot on in his analysis IMO.
Even now the intellectual left rather than attempting to formulate a cogent message to its former core vote, is seemingly waiting with relish to jump all over them if Brexit and the Tories promises on levelling up fail to live up to their billing.

elginCity

Vote Leave are within 6 weeks of fully ‘delivering Brexit’, and then the reality bites.

Preparations for this event as described by indo above and others are inept, insufficient or ignored.

Meanwhile Brexiters continue to focus on the opposition, have blind faith in the Johnson cabal that, despite all evidence to the contrary, everything will turn out well on the day.

Enjoy the next 6 weeks, fellas, keep your guns trained on Labour before we all lurch into Brexit proper.

Mr Jinx

The fella seems spot on in his analysis IMO.
Even now the intellectual left rather than attempting to formulate a cogent message to its former core vote, is seemingly waiting with relish to jump all over them if Brexit and the Tories promises on levelling up fail to live up to their billing.
It pinpoints exactly why Starter is the wrong man to be their Leader and backs up what I have been saying since the summer. Not that Rebecca Long-Bailey was the right person, but I'm struggling to think of anyone in their current ranks who can breach the divide.

arthur

It pinpoints exactly why Starter is the wrong man to be their Leader and backs up what I have been saying since the summer. Not that Rebecca Long-Bailey was the right person, but I'm struggling to think of anyone in their current ranks who can breach the divide.
You and Tavy have constructed a comforting narrative about the Labour Party which is little more than a caricature. Still, if if makes you feel better...

And why is Starmer the wrong man to restore its fortunes? Your inverted snobbery - he's a London lawyer who doesn't understand ordinary folk - is a) inaccurate and b) unlikely to be shared by the voters Labour needs to win back.

Of course there have always been working class Tories (a third of the 1960s working class voted this way, making up half the Tory vote) but don't confuse them and their rhetoric with the people Labour needs to win back.

tavyred

Art.
The collapse in the traditional Labour vote oop North is not part of some airy fairy “narrative” that people like me find “comforting”, it’s a reality.
What is yet to be realised is whether your man Sir Keir is the right man to revive Labour’s fortunes. You think he is, it remains to be seen if your unrealised “comforting narrative” will trump mine and Jinxy’s reality.

arthur

Art.
The collapse in the traditional Labour vote oop North is not part of some airy fairy “narrative” that people like me find “comforting”, it’s a reality.
What is yet to be realised is whether your man Sir Keir is the right man to revive Labour’s fortunes. You think he is, it remains to be seen if your unrealised “comforting narrative” will trump mine and Jinxy’s reality.
I wasn't talking about the "collapse" (aka decline over the last couple of decades) of the Labour vote in the north of England, but your caricaturing of the Labour Party as a group of middle class intellectuals who have abandoned the working class in favour of amassing votes from young, rootless city dwellers. There were a few naive idiots, mainly new members recruited in the Corbyn/Momentum period, who proposed this strategy, but their very brief time in the sun is over.

Have you bumped into Pete Edwards or Phil Bialyk recently? I'm sure they'd confirm your impression of what the Labour Party has become and how far it has travelled from its working class roots

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile more Trumpian/Johnsonian/Putinesque behaviour from the SNP

All politicians are equal, some more than others

tavyred

I wasn't talking about the "collapse" (aka decline over the last couple of decades) of the Labour vote in the north of England, but your caricaturing of the Labour Party as a group of middle class intellectuals who have abandoned the working class in favour of amassing votes from young, rootless city dwellers. There were a few naive idiots, mainly new members recruited in the Corbyn/Momentum period, who proposed this strategy, but their very brief time in the sun is over.

Have you bumped into Pete Edwards or Phil Bialyk recently? I'm sure they'd confirm your impression of what the Labour Party has become and how far it has travelled from its working class roots
Any early signs yet of the great Labour fightback in its traditional heartlands art?