• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
In a virtual rally last night Ol Sleepy actually forgot who he was running against, and then went on to say "We need to stop 4 more years of George!".

My own father is a year older than Joe and has similar cognitive issues. He gets by most days (for now), but could I imagine him running the USA for 4 years?

nick_exmouth

Something is obviously amiss with this, If this extra money was given to local authorities then why the need for local businesses and charities to step up to the plate to feed kids who otherwise won't get at least one hot meal a day during half term?
I interpreted it is that these businesses are getting the cash from the Council and facilitating the provision, rather than relying on a bureaucratic machine to administer

Will see if I can find my local link - here is the Govt guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-local-authority-emergency-assistance-grant-for-food-and-essential-supplies

DB9

In a virtual rally last night Ol Sleepy actually forgot who he was running against, and then went on to say "We need to stop 4 more years of George!".

My own father is a year older than Joe and has similar cognitive issues. He gets by most days (for now), but could I imagine him running the USA for 4 years?
With just over a week to go Biden has a 9-10 point lead over Trump, Swing states can still make it too close to call. For us in the UK, Johnson must be praying for a Trump win otherwise that great US-UK trade deal could be in real jepordy, One thing that Johnson will need to hopefully make 2021 a little bit more positive if this virus continues is good news on trade deals once the transition period ends.

DB9

I interpreted it is that these businesses are getting the cash from the Council and facilitating the provision, rather than relying on a bureaucratic machine to administer

Will see if I can find my local link
I'm thinking that these businesses i have read and seen on TV are making meals for kids out of their own pockets or by donations from the public, Not money from Councils?

nick_exmouth

Not watching the TV News or reading a paper for the last 6-8 weeks, you may well be correct that this is being portrayed and I am sure some great local businesses are doing so. I got a leaflet through the door and saw on the local village notice board that South Northants Council were telling residents where to get the provision so as it was branded from the Council, I presumed they were working in partnership

DB9

Not watching the TV News or reading a paper for the last 6-8 weeks, you may well be correct that this is being portrayed and I am sure some great local businesses are doing so. I got a leaflet through the door and saw on the local village notice board that South Northants Council were telling residents where to get the provision so as it was branded from the Council, I presumed they were working in partnership
I think that the when great British public are asked to dig into their pockets or hearts to help they do, I couldn't give a stuff about Political idiots who are trying to point score out of this. Those that are actually helping to feed the kids deserve all the praise, Marcus Rashford maybe the "Public" face of this but he is remembering his own experiences from when he was a kid and wants to give something back, Plus he was doing this long before the virus has made it more prevelent.

tavyred

Just as an aside, has Rashford or the Labour Party acknowledged who was in charge when the young Marcus was growing up and going hungry?

elginCity

Just as an aside, has Rashford or the Labour Party acknowledged who was in charge when the young Marcus was growing up and going hungry?
Excellent point. Up to the age of 12 it would have been New Labour.

DB9

Absoluty right Tavy, It is a scandal that all political parties have let down those that need the help most. But we have to say that things for those at the bottom run of life has not improved at all in the last decade and at the moment the Tory party has been in charge (2010-2015 Coalition with Lib Dems) We can't change the past but we can make the future better but it needs an honest and sometimes uncomfortable approach to things, More than just political points scoring and also the £9bn in extra money, Why isn't it making a difference because if it was we wouldn't be talking about this or the need to feed children?

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of Conservative toadies have, but then the Labour toadies are happy to point out just how many more children are going hungry since 2010. Whataboutism is poor debate.