• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Both are centre left, DB. They'll share the same values.
Then i guess she couldn't align herself with Corbyn's type of leadership? Well i hope Starmer when he writes to congratulate her (Which is normal in political things i think) looks to her and takes some ideas from her.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure if the NZ Labour Party means they are similar to the Labour Party here, If they are then perhaps she could give Starmer a few tips on how to bring a country together and get elected with a decent mandate?
The parties are similar, but that doesn't mean the people are.

Rosencrantz

I'm not sure if the NZ Labour Party means they are similar to the Labour Party here, If they are then perhaps she could give Starmer a few tips on how to bring a country together and get elected with a decent mandate?
Well one of their policies is higher taxes for top earners!

I think her compassion and leadership through some difficult times, not only Covid but the Christchurch Mosque terror attack and volcanic eruption, has helped her popularity. People do like to think that they are cared for by governments in difficult times which has resonated in NZ.

However, large victories are followed by large expectations. The tough job starts now for her I suspect.

DB9

The parties are similar, but that doesn't mean the people are.
No it doesn't, I mean Blair and Corbyn were both leaders but you wouldn't think it was the same party though. My initial question was if a Labour Party in NZ meant the same here that was all.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it doesn't, I mean Blair and Corbyn were both leaders but you wouldn't think it was the same party though. My initial question was if a Labour Party in NZ meant the same here that was all.
By people I mean the population of the countries, sorry. I.e. I don't know whether Ardern's brand of positivity would fly over here. The UK seems to prefer a more negative approach right now (and possibly always have).

DB9

Well one of their policies is higher taxes for top earners!

I think her compassion and leadership through some difficult times, not only Covid but the Christchurch Mosque terror attack and volcanic eruption, has helped her popularity. People do like to think that they are cared for by governments in difficult times which has resonated in NZ.

However, large victories are followed by large expectations. The tough job starts now for her I suspect.
That is why I highlighted the piece from the BBC website, She has been great through difficult times but like a lot of countries during this pandemic there are people in NZ, Mostly at the bottom run of life who feel and are being left behind and are really struggling.

Last edited:

DB9

By people I mean the population of the countries, sorry. I.e. I don't know whether Ardern's brand of positivity would fly over here. The UK seems to prefer a more negative approach right now (and possibly always have).
Positivity is normally associated with Aussies and Kiwis alike, I guess it's the weather and their relaxed attitude, Here we just seem happy to listen and read doom and gloom.

elginCity

Undoubtedly so. Tough gig for the lady in the next few years.

tavyred

Really?
The U.K. has just given a supreme optimist an 80 seat majority.
The British left does like it’s foreign heroes, Saint Jacinda follows in the footsteps of the geezer from Venezuela and the maid from Burma, but like all political careers they Crash and Burn eventually.

DB9

Really?
The U.K. has just given a supreme optimist an 80 seat majority.
The British left does like it’s foreign heroes, Saint Jacinda follows in the footsteps of the geezer from Venezuela and the maid from Burma, but like all political careers they Crash and Burn eventually.
Arden has been given a mandate from her country so she needs to deliver but it's not our place to criticize her, I'm sure there's enough in NZ doing that. As for the Burmese woman, Since being released from house arrest she has certainly shown her true colours and not for the good either.