• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just one story from a local news channel in the US, You can denounce it as "Fake News" and being only one story but there are plenty of others out there and since you quote from the internet i thought i'd do the same.

Mr Jinx

Unemployment now hitting levels not seen in decades.

Meanwhile house prices going through the roof.

Perhaps we should all just become Estate Agents?

Spoonz Red E

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed..

There was no need for a Stamp Duty holiday,that extra saving just bumped up house prices & deprived the Exchequer of much needed tax revenue.

lamrobhero

Just one story from a local news channel in the US, You can denounce it as "Fake News" and being only one story but there are plenty of others out there and since you quote from the internet i thought i'd do the same.

Yes there are all sorts of stories in social media and on the internet. It is a question of individual judgement what credibility and importance that you attach to them. I am trying to understand comments made by yourself and tavyred which at the moment do not add up for me. Thanks for the response.

As for the quoting from the internet remark. I see USA politics purely through the prism of the media. I claim no special knowledge.

tavyred

Its only anecdotal, but in Tavistock properties are being gobbled up left, right and centre. In a road near mine, three properties put up for sale signs last week, I did my morning constitutional this morning and all three have been sale agreed.
On employment, saw one report last week which stated that unemployment may not even hit 2009 crash levels, let alone Thatchers early eighties nightmare.

IndoMike

Let's just hope that the era of shameless racists - who for some strange reason think
they are better than other groups of people , 2nd -rate Mussolinis, disrespectors of decency, machistas (funny that the man who talks so tough backed away from fighting for his country because of "spurs") is over. Hope to see Trump being carried away screaming with a dummy in his mouth come January.
Trump didn't do himself any favours in the debate and his loud mouth, bullying act will only resonate with his red - neck fans down south. The next moderator will learn from this and should just cut off Trump's mike when he can't control his madness. According to polls Biden was considered to be the winner of the debate.
Biden is certainly not a great candidate but he will bring America back to some decency. I'm sure he will step down sooner rather than later - job done - and Pamela Harris can take over 👍

Mr Jinx

Its only anecdotal, but in Tavistock properties are being gobbled up left, right and centre.
Well of course. With WFH now a mainstay, who needs to live 10 minutes from a South East railway station any more? The exodus is well underway, evidently.

I guess it remains to be seen as to whether this is a really good or bad thing. I feel sorry for the young down there who could barely afford a house in those areas as things were. They've now just sailed well out of sight.

Meanwhile up in the smoke, I'm just hoping enough people bugger off so that school places become a bit more available and property prices drop even further. There's no stamp duty fillip here with the cheapest properties well in excess of the holiday thresholds.

Anecdotal again I know, but we have friends nearby wanting to do said exodus. They rang the estate agents who filled their heads with the usual guff....house sales gone crazy, prices going through the roof...anyway they thought they'd get theirs sold pretty quickly. 6 weeks later they haven't had one viewing! The traffic is one way, obviously.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wish I'd been there to enjoy listening to Ian Blackford's 30-minute Brexit speech.

DB9

Yes there are all sorts of stories in social media and on the internet. It is a question of individual judgement what credibility and importance that you attach to them. I am trying to understand comments made by yourself and tavyred which at the moment do not add up for me. Thanks for the response.

As for the quoting from the internet remark. I see USA politics purely through the prism of the media. I claim no special knowledge.
I can't speak for Tavy but for me i see a very divided country and last night's debacle proved that. I do believe that Antifa on one side have some very nasty people in their ranks hell bent on violence and it has been showed all over the media/internet (Like you this is where i get all my info on too) Someone on here once said to me in a reply that the violence/protests over the past few months has been "A few broken windows" that is certainly not the case, Businesses, Livelihoods have been ruined and the commuinties Antifa are suppose to support are bearing the brunt of this violence, How does that make sense?

On the other side we have the odious alt-right which after last night have been emboldened by a President who said, Instead of condemming them, "Stand back, Stand by" to anyone that gives these thugs legitimacy and has already been put as a banner on websites, Biden should of condemmed Antifa too but shyed away from it and as said on here earlier today, If that is the choice the US have then god help them, You said the Democrats had good people in their ranks so why did they chose a 78 yr old who really should be thinking about retiring rather than take up the most stressful job in the world and a possible second choice for them was Bernie Sanders? Those good people in the Democrats you talk about are very poor at the choices they make imho.

You only have to see that in a country where bearing arms is a right and that people can openly carry assult rifles without others taking a second glance makes it a powederkeg over there and wouldn't take much for real violence to start, The right over there are using this as a fight for survival, their rights being taken away and the threat of Marxism taking over the States and they are frightened and when they're frightened with guns that makes it a dangerous place.

I will never condone violence on either side, That is not the answer and if others don't like my views then tough. In the middle of all this you have a nation who wants and needs direction, Not just domestically but internationally too, On the home front they need housing, Affordable healthcare, Decent public school education, A chance to get on in life but they're not getting this, Not only from Trump but in the Obama era too, The poverty in Democratic run cities is a disgrace and these are the things that need sorting, For years the ordainary American on the street has been ignored, Sound familier? That is why in 2016 Trump was elected.