• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
America is still a great country, what we're seeing is Churchill's comment on democracies ringing true, in that democracy is the worst system of government, apart from all the rest.
For me the debate just reflected the massive divide there is in the US, Trump should get slaughtered for failing to condemn the White Supremacists, yet he won't because Biden inexplicably tried to convince us that 'Antifa' was "an idea" when everybody sensible knows they are ultra left wing thugs in human form.
If I were an American my takeaway would be that Biden is thankfully cognitively fit to be President and its finally time to end the Trump chaos.
Why are both of them trying to "Excuse" the extremes of both left and right?

tavyred

Why are both of them trying to "Excuse" the extremes of both left and right?
Votes DB, votes.

DB9

Votes DB, votes.
Great, Then when either wins, The losers extreme supporters won't just go away, You really don't want to be in America after November.

lamrobhero

For me the debate just reflected the massive divide there is in the US, Trump should get slaughtered for failing to condemn the White Supremacists, yet he won't because Biden inexplicably tried to convince us that 'Antifa' was "an idea" when everybody sensible knows they are ultra left wing thugs in human form.
At the moment I think that this is another false equivalence
FBI raises neo-Nazi threat level to same as Isis February 2020 The Independent
The FBI warned for years that police are cozy with the far right. Is no one listening? The Guardian August 2020
I am open minded, so over to you to convince me that Right Wing Extremist / Antifa is not a false equivalence.

Last edited:

lamrobhero

tavyred

Morning Indo. 👍
It depends on what metric you choose to judge the two extremes.
If we’re talking about law and order in US cities at the moment, you need to look no further than Antifa and their antics in places like Portland and Seattle. I’m no expert on the US far right but apart from some gun toting ‘Good Ol Boys’ grandstanding in some of those riot torn US cities, I don’t see much of an equivalence with the far left ‘defund the police’ nutters rioting and looting in numerous areas of the US.

Mr Jinx

America is still a great country, what we're seeing is Churchill's comment on democracies ringing true in that democracy is the worst system of government, apart from all the rest.
If I were an American my takeaway would be that Biden is thankfully cognitively fit to be President and its finally time to end the Trump chaos.
Yes, if Sleepy can come across without appearing senile (which appears to have been the case last night) then you'd have to say he comes out the winner.

I haven't seen it. A scrappy affair by all accounts. The Democratic leaning media claiming Biden won narrowly, the Republican leaning claiming Trump won narrowly. The truth probably therefore somewhere in between, but with Trump behind in the polls, he needed to win convincingly.

DB9

Antifa is more probably a "Movement" They don't need to be an organization as in the traditonal way to be active, Social Media is what they use and to some on the conservative side see them as a threat to the "American Way Of Life" and have been involved in rioting across certain cities in the US.

lamrobhero

Antifa is more probably a "Movement" They don't need to be an organization as in the traditonal way to be active, Social Media is what they use and to some on the conservative side see them as a threat to the "American Way Of Life" and have been involved in rioting across certain cities in the US.
To what extent have Antifa been involved in rioting across certain cities in the US?

Seattle Times: When antifa hysteria sweeps America

tavyred

To what extent have Antifa been involved in rioting across certain cities in the US?

Seattle Times: When antifa hysteria sweeps America
Who do you think those organised black clad agitators attacking the Rozzers are Indo?