• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yet when the lead is the other way round it is lauded by people on here?? :rolleyes: Polls this far from any election mean nothing, Even local election results are not a guide in a GE, In fact Polls around an election tend to be all over the place and not very accurate.
DB.
Tory poll leads are ‘lauded’ simply because as Jinxy suggests you can argue that owing to the current political landscape the Tories holding up in the polls is counter intuitive.

IndoMike

Completely agree, he could (and would). I'm not sure the public currently has much confidence in either being achieved, let alone both - but time will tell.

The 'mood music' on Brexit does seemed to have improved a little in the last couple of weeks. We shall see if that translates into anything concrete and meaningful. Both sides still desperate not to be blamed for no deal so my 1euro is still on something being cobbled together, and then fleshed out/built on over the coming years.

No deal gives even more ammo to the SNP. A deal makes it much harder for them to justify ripping themselves away from RUK. One of the many ironies in all this
I really hope there is a No Deal, just as Dumb and Dumber and the other staunch Brexiters want.

IndoMike

DB9

DB.
Tory poll leads are ‘lauded’ simply because as Jinxy suggests you can argue that owing to the current political landscape the Tories holding up in the polls is counter intuitive.
Maybe so but if it was the other way round it would be lauded, I'll give Starmer some credit here, Even if the poll is out in some way, To have Labour even sniffing near equal polling to the Tories is a feat in its self after the disasterous Corbyn era.

Alistair20000

I really hope there is a No Deal, just as Dumb and Dumber and the other staunch Brexiters want.
A disappointing post.

Mr Jinx

Maybe so but if it was the other way round it would be lauded, I'll give Starmer some credit here, Even if the poll is out in some way, To have Labour even sniffing near equal polling to the Tories is a feat in its self after the disasterous Corbyn era.
Labour with Corbyn held a lead over the Tories as recently as July 2019. Remind me how that worked out for them 4.5 months later? If Corbyn was that hapless how come Labour were in that position? The position that Labour find themselves in now incidentally.

DB9

Labour with Corbyn held a lead over the Tories as recently as July 2019. Remind me how that worked out for them 4.5 months later? If Corbyn was that hapless how come Labour were in that position? The position that Labour find themselves in now incidentally.
After 2017 Corbyn had the advantage of the awful Tory campaign and i agree Corbyn was on a roll and between then and 2019 both main parties were seen as bad as each other and as May was in charge her leadership was in question all the time and fell on her sword, When Johnson got the leaders gig and promised to "Get Brexit Done" Corbyn showed he had no answer and that is why he lost that lead in 4.5 months, Plus Corbyn showed he was no leader and the country would have never voted for him.

DB9

In other news Laurence Fox is launching a new political party, Apparently it's a sort of "Ukip for culture" Can't see it doing much, Maybe more of a protest party?

IndoMike

A disappointing post.
Why? Surely that's what Brexiters want, isn't it? To take back control : to be independent of the EU. There was nothing about "deals" in the referendum, was there? The people who voted LEAVE didn't vote for LEAVE WITH A DEAL, did they?

You want BREXIT : ok...take it. One of the consequences of BREXIT was a possible NO DEAL. If you voted BREXIT you can therefore hardly complain if that's what you get .

So I'm surprised that you're disappointed in my post. Is the thought of NO DEAL so appalling to a BREXITER? Strange, if you voted LEAVE..

I thought Johnson & co said we could handle a NO DEAL, anyway..So can we?

Last edited:

elginCity

The 'mood music' on Brexit does seemed to have improved a little in the last couple of weeks. We shall see if that translates into anything concrete and meaningful. Both sides still desperate not to be blamed for no deal so my 1euro is still on something being cobbled together, and then fleshed out/built on over the coming years.
'Cobbled together' ? How do you 'cobble together' a rules-based international trade deal ? The UK is leaving, it has not been pushed - the EU will not compromise on the integrity of its market of 27 nations, including Ireland. Neither the EU, or the US will compromise the integrity of the GFA. The only compromise will have to come from this Vote Leave government, and then you have to ask yourself...was it all worth it ? I know the answer.