• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
26 point deficit back in February, March time wasn't it? Only one poll that counts though and that's some way off yet.
Very true. Given Starter hasn't announced a single policy (to my knowledge), that is some fall in confidence / satisfaction in the Gov.

Starmer just needs to keep hammering the competence issue and keep the Corbyinite headcases confined to the backbenches.

He could conceively become PM by 'not being Johnson' in the same way that Biden might become President by 'not being Trump' but expect the Tory party to be ruthless and axe BoJo if that looks seriously likely in a few yrs.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very true. Given Starter hasn't announced a single policy (to my knowledge), that is some fall in confidence / satisfaction in the Gov.

Starmer just needs to keep hammering the competence issue and keep the Corbyinite headcases confined to the backbenches.

He could conceively become PM by 'not being Johnson' in the same way that Biden might become President by 'not being Trump' but expect the Tory party to be ruthless and axe BoJo if that looks seriously likely in a few yrs.
Can't see Boris getting to the next election. As you say, the Tory MP's are ruthless and Boris's popularity within the Party has withered behind Sunak.

Alistair20000

Can't see Boris getting to the next election. As you say, the Tory MP's are ruthless and Boris's popularity within the Party has withered behind Sunak.
This.

Boris is a busted flush. In office but not in power. Cannot see him leading the Tories into another general election.

IndoMike

I would hope that it would be a question of month, not years, before Johnson is given the boot.
The problem is that if Gove takes over we're still stuck with Cummings.

IndoMike

Sweden has some excellent social policies but regarding Covid is not as perfect as some would make out

tavyred

This.

Boris is a busted flush. In office but not in power. Cannot see him leading the Tories into another general election.
My man ain’t done yet Ali. 😄
BJ does have a mahoosive winter ahead though. Navigate safely the twin threats of COVID management and the Brexit transition period ending and he could hit next summer in a stronger position than he finds himself in now.
On the latter threat, encouraging noises coming the Brexit negotiations about the possibility of a deal being struck.
On Starmer’s lead in one poll, a 3 point lead with the Tories still polling just under 40% is still nowhere near enough to give Labour an overall majority. I am surprised though with the negative press the Tories are getting and in the week of Sir Keir’s first big conference speech that the lead isn’t bigger.

DB9

Jason has always said that Johnson was more popular with members rather than the Parliamentary party.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
My man ain’t done yet Ali. 😄
BJ does have a mahoosive winter ahead though. Navigate safely the twin threats of COVID management and the Brexit transition period ending and he could hit next summer in a stronger position than he finds himself in now.
On the latter threat, encouraging noises coming the Brexit negotiations about the possibility of a deal being struck.
On Starmer’s lead in one poll, a 3 point lead with the Tories still polling just under 40% is still nowhere near enough to give Labour an overall majority. I am surprised though with the negative press the Tories are getting and in the week of Sir Keir’s first big conference speech that the lead isn’t bigger.
Completely agree, he could (and would). I'm not sure the public currently has much confidence in either being achieved, let alone both - but time will tell.

The 'mood music' on Brexit does seemed to have improved a little in the last couple of weeks. We shall see if that translates into anything concrete and meaningful. Both sides still desperate not to be blamed for no deal so my 1euro is still on something being cobbled together, and then fleshed out/built on over the coming years.

No deal gives even more ammo to the SNP. A deal makes it much harder for them to justify ripping themselves away from RUK. One of the many ironies in all this

Mr Jinx

Labour takes 3pt lead in latest polls. First time Tories have been behind since Johnson became PM.
It means little. Milliband held a lead over Cameron for most of his years as opposition leader. Given what's happened over the last 6 months, Labour should have commanded big leads but it hasn't.

DB9

It means little. Milliband held a lead over Cameron for most of his years as opposition leader. Given what's happened over the last 6 months, Labour should have commanded big leads but it hasn't.
Yet when the lead is the other way round it is lauded by people on here?? :rolleyes: Polls this far from any election mean nothing, Even local election results are not a guide in a GE, In fact Polls around an election tend to be all over the place and not very accurate.