• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Once again, I'm not talking about the Referendum ! Forgive me, as I've only assumed from your posts that you've since voted Tory. Many other decent folk did too - some born again Leavers respecting 'democracy' - some sick of the whole shebang who just wanted to 'Get Brexit Done'.

The 'Oven-ready deal' was a lie, yet people bought it - no deal is looking ever more likely. Just one example of the 'sold a pup' idiom.

This Vote Leave Government signed an international treaty and a political declaration that passed through Parliament, but is now backsliding on that agreement. See IDS, and Barnier's comments. Some democracy that is. It was agreed that UK v EU would compete fairly on a level playing field with an agreed trade arbiter, and Vote Leave are not happy about that now. It's not me who is complaining about the pitch, or the ref.
Lord no, I have never voted for them even on a local level. While you think I'm "Mad" to say what i said there is very little in a Tory manifesto that would make me ever vote for them, I'm not saying the opposition has had any answers, Look at Corbyn, What a complete disaster he was and is a very big reason why we're where we are now. All those things like a "Oven ready Deal" or it will be "The easiest deal ever" has come to bite them right on the backside and IDS not reading the fine print just shows a level of arrogance which is beyond belief. All i have said and will continue to say is that democracy and the ability to vote freely means so much to me, Even if the result stinks.

elginCity

Lord no, I have never voted for them even on a local level. While you think I'm "Mad" to say what i said there is very little in a Tory manifesto that would make me ever vote for them,....
Sorry for the presumption, DB, figured you were a supporter. You are no enabler then, neither are you mad, merely an apologist for Vote Leave's warped version of 'democracy' ! :)

arthur

This is what I pointed out yesterday, James O'Brien did a piece about this on his show, It's amazing that they were so rushed to get the WA through, They didn't do the most basic of things like read the small print.
IIRC correctly there was a guillotine motion to cut short discussion of the WA.. I can't remember whether this won or lost, but I can remember that seeking time to discuss the WA in detail was seen as an act of disloyalty to A Johnson. And, lest we forget, the WA bill passed its second reading by getting on for 30 votes, yet Johnson went to the country claiming "We have to have this election because Parliament is blocking the WA". The utterly useless Corbyn, who facilitated the calling of this election, failed ever to call out this blatant lie.

Had we a functioning democracy, populated by competent politicians, the WA would gave been properly debated and then put back to the people saying "You voted in principle to leave the EU. This is the agreement we have negotiated which outlines the nature of our future relationship with the EU. Do you you authorise the UK government to proceed with exiting the EU on this basis?" But apparently such an approach constitutes "disrespecting the referendum result" or, in Tavy/Jinx/Ramone language "spitting in the face of 17.5 million people"

tavyred

Let it go fellas. We left 6 months ago.

elginCity

Let it go fellas. We left 6 months ago.
Looking ahead 6 months - when we’ve all lost - will you still claim you’ve ‘won’ ? I wonder.

Alistair20000

What does winning and losing mean ?

Lots of vaguery on here.

tavyred

We’re all winners when democracy prevails.

Alistair20000

I am going to shout up a bitter lemon for Elgers in the Virtual.

I think he might rear up at the Brexit Celebration guest ale.

DB9

Sorry for the presumption, DB, figured you were a supporter. You are no enabler then, neither are you mad, merely an apologist for Vote Leave's warped version of 'democracy' ! :)
I'm not sure if you're talking in jest but i'm no apologist. To me we voted and leave won, If people say it wasn't explained what leaving the EU meant is a patronising view on other peoples intelligence. I knew EXACTLY what leaving meant and that is why i voted remain and those that vote leave knew why they were voting it, No good complaining about the campaign, It was all out there and even the red bus thing was dissed before the actual vote but as with much of the remain campaign it never got through to the people, All people saw was the usual lot trying tell the "Little People" whats best for them, That's how it came across to me but i did read things an leave/remain, I made what i considered an informed judgement, It didn't do me any good and i was gutted at the result.

elginCity

DB - think the confusion is because I often refer to the current government as 'Vote Leave', because most prominent Vote Leave campaigners have been appointed (also to the Lords). I mean as an apologist for this current government's interpretation of parliamentary democracy i.e the wilful ignoring of it !

Al, the Brexit Celebration Ale promises much; pzazz - has great branding - catchy advertising slogans 'ale means ale' - 'beer beer beer' - but a bit pricey. No ingredients listed - just says 'Trust us'. From Brewers with a dodgy track record. I've a sneaking feeling it'll taste like sh1t, and goes on to give us all the sh1ts - and you don't.. :)