• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would cut mine up if i were a member.
Not if it had Mrs May on it ;)

StroudGrecian

Not if it had Mrs May on it ;)
Bring it on. I've no problem with wearing a mask and more than happy to cover the back of May's head with my sputum.

Rosencrantz

FAO our culture war correspondent:

Obviously if they are so libertarian they should be looking to repeal seat belt and motorcycle helmets laws also, no 🤔...and stop penalising the civil liberties of those brave NHS surgeons by wearing gloves and masks when rooting around inside you.

It's just a mask to protect public health, it's common decency, it's unlikely to be forever. I didn't like get kitted up when being a chef, but I did it, for you, the public.

IndoMike

The most optimistic, most pessimistic and most likely economic outlooks for the coming years ...

Alistair20000

The most optimistic, most pessimistic and most likely economic outlooks for the coming years ...
Prepare for the worst folks as the Government continues to fanny around with getting businesses back to full operation.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Prepare for the worst folks as the Government continues to fanny around with getting businesses back to full operation.
Making it up as they go along I'm afraid

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not so sure RP.
Labour generally and Starmer specifically need a 'clause 4' moment on Brexit and FOM before the next GE IMO. If (big if) Brexit is viewed by the electorate as having been a fairly economically benign experience come 2024, its going to be a compelling attack line against Starmer that he and Labour got it wrong and would if they could re-join the EU and bring back FOM in a heartbeat. That would of course help in the old Labour areas, but go down like a lead balloon in its new middle class metropolitan heartlands.
Couple that with the fact that a vote for Labour probably puts the separatists in Scotland in a position of great influence, then I don't see a pathway to a Labour majority government anytime soon.
Brexit in 2024 won't be an issue in the sense of 'getting it done', like it was in 2019

If it is working - sort of, then it won't be an issue
If it is a catastrophic mess, then Labour standing on a rejoin / referendum to rejoin ticket might not be a vote-loser. And heartless as it sounds, the over 80 demographic may be much reduced.

I suspect the fall out from this current crisis will still be looming large in 2024. Regardless of 'build,build, build', not much worthwhile will actually have been built by 2024 given the amount of time (and money) it takes to consult, plan, argue, plan again, revise, re-consult on anything of any significance so it will come down to the economy and Government competence. Neither is exactly flourishing at present.

Starmer doesn't need a moment. He needs to continue to weed out the myopic 'if you're not a Corbynite, you're a Tory ' lunactics and the racists. Act statesmanlike, seem decent, produce some policies that resonate with "Karen" and "Gary" that will improve their lives. Then he's in the game.

Scotland remains the large fly in all this. Starmer will be imploring 'remain' much more so than Johnson, but equally a PM who presides over the break up of the Union won't be looked upon favourably either. Competence...

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

Making it up as they go along I'm afraid
Sadly yes. So much contradictory confusing nonsense.

arthur

Sadly yes. So much contradictory confusing nonsense.
When the PM and his deputy are both journalists this does not come as a surprise.....

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the PM and his deputy are both journalists this does not come as a surprise.....
I've seen Dominic Raab described as a few things, but never as a journalist. Are you confusing him and Gove?