• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps the BBC were responding to the Tory supporting newspapers who are calling it "Super Saturday" and encouraging us to get out to spend and get bladdered then on Sunday those same people will be condemming what they encouraged?
That’s been the problem, too often they (the broadcast news) would rather confront the Government with their own rather hackneyed and errant perceptions of the Government’s position than the position as is. Too often the questions are prefixed with the phrase “don’t you really mean”......this that and the other. Stop trying to catch Ministers out with gotcha questions that would embarrass a school newspaper and ask grown up questions for a change.

DB9

That’s been the problem, too often they (the broadcast news) would rather confront the Government with their own rather hackneyed and errant perceptions of the Government’s position than the position as is. Too often the questions are prefixed with the phrase “don’t you really mean”......this that and the other. Stop trying to catch Ministers out with gotcha questions that would embarrass a school newspaper and ask grown up questions for a change.
Or tell the Newspapers to be more responsible?

Grecian2K

Or perhaps the politicians should start actually answering straight questions with honest facts rather than merely deflecting and evading.
(The same could, of course, also be expected of some of their most fawningly loyal supporters and apologists!)

DB9

Or perhaps the politicians should start actually answering straight questions with honest facts rather than merely deflecting and evading.
(The same could, of course, also be expected of some of their most fawningly loyal supporters and apologists!)
Goes for all sides G2K.

arthur

A bit of that again tonight.
BJ spends 20 minutes giving an impassioned speech urging the public to excercise restraint during this next stage, and the first question from the BBC oik accuses the Government of poor messaging and encouraging a ‘Super Saturday’ mentality. Clearly another case of a reporter with a pre prepared question not being clever enough to adapt, it’s not only Peston who struggles with that.
I also fail to see why BJ is required to explain the actions of his eldery father, who the last time I looked was a private citizen. I’m beginning to think that the fifth estate aren’t very bright.
Yes, you have identified the problem (but aren't they the fourth estate?). Kuennsberg must be one of the most over promoted people in the country - a basic hack journalist with a long list of contacts is somehow the political editor of the national broadcaster.
Peston gives good analysis but is powder puff when up against BS merchants. Andrew Neil, not exactly a leftie, is head and shoulders above the rest of them. The fact that he's ancient does not augur well for the future

Alistair20000

Yes, you have identified the problem (but aren't they the fourth estate?). Kuennsberg must be one of the most over promoted people in the country - a basic hack journalist with a long list of contacts is somehow the political editor of the national broadcaster.
Peston gives good analysis but is powder puff when up against BS merchants. Andrew Neil, not exactly a leftie, is head and shoulders above the rest of them. The fact that he's ancient does not augur well for the future
Where is Emma Barnett my choice to succeed Andrew Neil ?

Laura a PC appointment. Deputy John Pienaar miles superior

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder who will be the Gov's 'Press Spokeman/woman' doing the daily briefings

Some good odds on offer.

You couldn't pay me £5 million to do it. Aside from not being very good on TV, having to stand there every day and defend the Gov position , then for the Gov position to change 3 hours later would do by head in.

"So, (PM spokesman), yesterday afternoon you insisted despite all the evidence to the contrary that the earth was flat, gave 7 reasons why it was flat and quoted a study from the University of Milwaukee to support the fact it was flat. Last night, the PM told the Daily Mail that the earth was in fact round, and he conceded that it orbited the sun in just over 365 days. Doesn't this make you look stupid?"

(PM spokesman, with barely disguised fury) "Well we have always had an open mind on this issue, and after the Prime Minister had the opportunity to weigh up all the evidence, he made a clear decision. This shows this Government is listening to the people on issues and considering them carefully..."

IndoMike

How Trump might try to hold on to.power if he loses the next US GE.

arthur

Where is Emma Barnett my choice to succeed Andrew Neil ?

Laura a PC appointment. Deputy John Pienaar miles superior
Absolutely. Imagine being Pienaar and having LK as your line manager! No wonder he left to join Times Radio

Alistair20000

Absolutely. Imagine being Pienaar and having LK as your line manager! No wonder he left to join Times Radio
Thanks art.

Have to say I missed the news that the moustached one had left the BBC.