• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see Teaser tore strips off Oiky Gove today over the appointment of David Frost as National Security Adviser. You'd think he had enough on his plate with the small matter of the 'easiest deal in history' trade agreement to cross the i's and dot the t's of with M Barnier.

Seems odd that the day after Gove makes a long speech about, amongst other things, the 'lack of expertise' in Whitehall, that they appoint a NSA who has never held a military or security role.

Hey ho, joined up Government. Can't beat it.
Johnson (Cummings) wants to keep it all in the family. Der grosse Fuhrer Cummings
wants to keep control of EVERYTHING.

IndoMike

It
Winner of the sanctimonious git award 2020
It's a lifetime award 😅

arthur

Build . Build. Build.

What a bell end.
My thoughts exactly Lego. I find him literally unwatchable - it's just excruciating.

But apparently some people like this approach - I remember Johnson's first PMQs when he swaggered about as if he had dined well before his peroration at the Oxford Union and people like Jinx and Tavy "liked the cut of his jib" and thought this captured the mood of the country. Not any country I want to live in, I thought, gloomy at the thought that they might be right.

But does this utter carp still cut it with "the people", post Cummings, post Coronavirus, post Corbyn? I'd be interested to know....

tavyred

My thoughts exactly Lego. I find him literally unwatchable - it's just excruciating.

But apparently some people like this approach - I remember Johnson's first PMQs when he swaggered about as if he had dined well before his peroration at the Oxford Union and people like Jinx and Tavy "liked the cut of his jib" and thought this captured the mood of the country. Not any country I want to live in, I thought, gloomy at the thought that they might be right.

But does this utter carp still cut it with "the people", post Cummings, post Coronavirus, post Corbyn? I'd be interested to know....
I think politicians personalities tend to grate if you disagree fundamentally with their politics or their stance on a particular issue.
No one is forcing you to live a country you don’t fancy living in, don’t you have an Irish connection?
Most people couldn’t give a stuff about the everyday bluster and bravado of politicians and will make a judgment based on performance come election time.
I like BJ’s positivity still, it was and still is a welcome anecdote to TM’s dull technocratic approach and the miserable and innate drudgery of Corbyn’s leftism.
The challenge for Starmer IMO, is to make a compelling patriotic hopeful case for why people should vote Labour. People like to believe in ‘sunlit uplands’.

elginCity

I like BJ’s positivity still......
You liked the positive "oven ready deal" ? Or the unambiguous positivity of "there will be no checks on goods between NI and GB" ?

Some people believe the patter of dodgy second hand car salesmen, many more don't.

arthur

I think politicians personalities tend to grate if you disagree fundamentally with their politics or their stance on a particular issue.
No one is forcing you to live a country you don’t fancy living in, don’t you have an Irish connection?
Most people couldn’t give a stuff about the everyday bluster and bravado of politicians and will make a judgment based on performance come election time.
I like BJ’s positivity still, it was and still is a welcome anecdote to TM’s dull technocratic approach and the miserable and innate drudgery of Corbyn’s leftism.
The challenge for Starmer IMO, is to make a compelling patriotic hopeful case for why people should vote Labour. People like to believe in ‘sunlit uplands’.
I broadly agree with you, but Johnson's grate potential is of a different magnitude to other politicians I disagree with. I think it's something to do with the utter phoniness of it all and the fact that all he really cares about is himself. The positivity of which you speak is meaningless bluster, straight out of the Eton College pre match rugger bugger team talk and so repellent for all sorts of reasons. I remain hopeful that the majority of this country, despite your attempts to convince me otherwise, find Johnson a fraud and are not taken in by him, so my emigration plans are on hold...

And yes, people should believe in sunlit uplands and vote accordingly, rather than out of fear and loathing. It's just that I don't find Johnson's remotely believable. As Elgin has remarked, why have the northern left-behind hitched themselves/been hitched to a low tax, low regulation, global free market bunch of chancers? I hope and believe Starmer can rise to the challenge you have outlined and you and I can walk hand in hand to the polling station in the not too distant future :)

Alistair20000

I broadly agree with you, but Johnson's grate potential is of a different magnitude to other politicians I disagree with. I think it's something to do with the utter phoniness of it all and the fact that all he really cares about is himself. The positivity of which you speak is meaningless bluster, straight out of the Eton College pre match rugger bugger team talk and so repellent for all sorts of reasons. I remain hopeful that the majority of this country, despite your attempts to convince me otherwise, find Johnson a fraud and are not taken in by him, so my emigration plans are on hold...

And yes, people should believe in sunlit uplands and vote accordingly, rather than out of fear and loathing. It's just that I don't find Johnson's remotely believable. As Elgin has remarked, why have the northern left-behind hitched themselves/been hitched to a low tax, low regulation, global free market bunch of chancers? I hope and believe Starmer can rise to the challenge you have outlined and you and I can walk hand in hand to the polling station in the not too distant future :)
What do you thing is the answer art ?

tavyred

You liked the positive "oven ready deal" ? Or the unambiguous positivity of "there will be no checks on goods between NI and GB" ?

Some people believe the patter of dodgy second hand car salesmen, many more don't.
Two things happened yesterday which I voted for.
The immigration bill passed it’s third reading and FOM will end at the end of the transition period, and the transition period itself will no longer be extended past December 31st as was feared by some of us.
Not so much the patter of a dodgy car salesman as a PM and his Government delivering. It could catch on.

DB9

What do you thing is the answer art ?

DB9

Two things happened yesterday which I voted for.
The immigration bill passed it’s third reading and FOM will end at the end of the transition period, and the transition period itself will no longer be extended past December 31st as was feared by some of us.
Not so much the patter of a dodgy car salesman as a PM and his Government delivering. It could catch on.
The things you quoted Tavy were always going to happen with the majority they have and it will help them pass alsorts of things in the next 4 1/2 years but (There is always buts) from Dec to March things were going along steady for them then this virus appeared, Not the fault of Johnson but how he has handled it so far with his Government has be questionable and i hope will come out in the wash when we have an open inquiry in the near future. He now has an opposition leader who is so much much better than Corbyn, Someone who doesn't shout and can give as good as he gets at PMQT an economy that is so fragile he has to get right otherwise all those "Red wall seats" will desert him as fast as they voted for him.