• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sajid is an opportunist.
This comment would apply to almost all politicians Elgers

IndoMike

This comment would apply to almost all politicians Elgers
Some, not all Ali.
But you must agree that Sajid's U turn from saying that Brexit would be an economic disaster with a serious impact for the next 10 years to becoming a stern purveyor of "no alignment" takes the biscuit (-and I'm not talking ginger nuts).

DB9

According to reports Labour have nominated former Speaker John Bercow for a peerage and into the House of Lords, Stange times given that Bercow was a former Tory MP, Also I'd thought with Corbyn's Left Wing credentials, He'd be opposed to anyone going there or the House of Lords in general.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Same reports suggesting Karie Murphy who oversaw the disastrous election & antisemitism inquiry is in for a peerage too !!
If one was a cynic,you would not be forgiven for thinking Bercows nomination from the Labour list is a connived disctraction.

Alistair20000

According to reports Labour have nominated former Speaker John Bercow for a peerage and into the House of Lords, Stange times given that Bercow was a former Tory MP, Also I'd thought with Corbyn's Left Wing credentials, He'd be opposed to anyone going there or the House of Lords in general.

Not so strange really. Corbyn and Big John Bercow became very pally. Did you not see the cringeworthy big hugs at the end of a sitting last year ?

Big John started a journey leftwards from being a far right Tory some time ago after he married his awful wife. He might even still be motoring.

Alistair20000

Some, not all Ali.
But you must agree that Sajid's U turn from saying that Brexit would be an economic disaster with a serious impact for the next 10 years to becoming a stern purveyor of "no alignment" takes the biscuit (-and I'm not talking ginger nuts).
I did not say "All" Indo.

Tavy has explained the position with The Saj.

I have to say, I have grave doubts about The Saj as Chancellor but time will tell. Alistair Darling would be my choice but he is not in the Conservative party. He did an excellent job as Chancellor after The Broon without being a "political" Chancellor in the sense that Gideon was. As for Spreadsheet Phil, thank goodness he is gone.

DB9

Not so strange really. Corbyn and Big John Bercow became very pally. Did you not see the cringeworthy big hugs at the end of a sitting last year ?

Big John started a journey leftwards from being a far right Tory some time ago after he married his awful wife. He might even still be motoring.
Maybe so Al and they were very pally, Its just Corbyn's "Hatred" of an institution like the HoL, You'd thought he'd be against it on principle, But when it comes to politics nowadays, Principles are the last thing on people's minds

Alistair20000

Maybe so Al and they were very pally, Its just Corbyn's "Hatred" of an institution like the HoL, You'd thought he'd be against it on principle, But when it comes to politics nowadays, Principles are the last thing on people's minds
Yes indeed.

Given that we have a HoL I don't particularly criticise Jezza for suggesting appointments to it and I think Boris should have played the big man on this one and offered it to the wretched Bercow in accordance with tradition. After all, the Tories tore into Big John for riding roughshod over tradition and precedent. He wasn't all bad either. He did a lot to improve the position for backbenchers but his obvious anti Brexit stance meant he was not performing the Speaker's role in the proper way. His successor Sir Lindsay Hoyle is looking a gem in comparison.

IndoMike

I did not say "All" Indo.

--That's true. It's a question of degree.

Tavy has explained the position with The Saj.

--- And Elgin has pointed out that Javid voted for Remain in a free vote. Not convinced by Taver's justification.

I have to say, I have grave doubts about The Saj as Chancellor but time will tell.

--- Me, too.

Alistair Darling would be my choice but he is not in the Conservative party. He did an excellent job as Chancellor after The Broon without being a "political" Chancellor in the sense that Gideon was. As for Spreadsheet Phil, thank goodness he is gone.

----. I need to remind myself about Darling.
Wasn't he Chancellor at the time of the almost financial crash and played a vital part in sorting it out, or is that my imagination?

Grecian2K

So Big Ed Davey now leaping onto the anti-Corbyn bandwagon and blaming him for the DimLebs electoral disappointments.

For all of his MANY other failings at least JC spared us one horror - we don't have to endure "Jilted Jo's" sour little petulant grimaces at the HoC for the next five years.