• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why can’t you understand that the Chancellor was formerly part of a Government that campaigned to remain and latterly he’s now part of a Government that has been tasked via a GE (two GE’s in fact) to carry out the political imperative to leave the EU?
That isn’t a Gotcha moment as you seem to think it is, it’s a politician dealing with the political reality of an argument he (and you!) lost in June 16.

IndoMike

Why can’t you understand that the Chancellor was formerly part of a Government that campaigned to remain and latterly he’s now part of a Government that has been tasked via a GE (two GE’s in fact) to carry out the political imperative to leave the EU?
That isn’t a Gotcha moment as you seem to think it is, it’s a politician dealing with the political reality of an argument he (and you!) lost in June 16.
Well, I wasn't thinking it was a gotcha moment, Tavers. I just wanted to share something which in my opinion is important. When a high level politician says something which is of ultra national importance, in my old-fashioned way I want to believe him. And imo it is a matter of such importance that the Chancellor should have resigned as a matter of principle. To do such a huge U turn and implement a policy which he thinks is economically disastrous for the nation is unacceptable
Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one

tavyred

Perhaps the Chancellor’s original stance on Brexit was the politically convenient choice and his latest one mirrors his true feelings?
Under the guise of Cabinet collective responsibility, Ministers are constantly required to park their own views in favour of the ‘party line’.

IndoMike

Perhaps the Chancellor’s original stance on Brexit was the politically convenient choice and his latest one mirrors his true feelings?
Under the guise of Cabinet collective responsibility, Ministers are constantly required to park their own views in favour of the ‘party line’.
A to D

DB9

Didn't they have a free reign to vote however they wanted to in the referendum or didn't that include any cabinet members at the time?

elginCity

7 Tory cabinet ministers in 2016 backed leave.

The ‘imperative’ to leave the EU needn’t include leaving the SM/CU, we remember the oft touted ‘Norway option’ ?

Indo is correct. Sajid is an opportunist.

tavyred

So when Keir Starmer says Brexit is settled, is he dealing with the political reality of where we now or being opportunistic?
The point about Ministers having a free vote is a good one, so my point about collective cabinet responsibility does not apply. Apologies Mike.
That said, the official position of HMG was to advocate for Remain, nothing wrong with a politician changing his position to mirror a new democratically arrived at reality IMO.
Newspapers this morning saying that no deal preparations are being stepped up for fear of an early collapse in the trade deal talks. Cummings stating that Brussels has not cottoned on to the fact that the U.K. will not align with the EU on trade.

elginCity

So when Keir Starmer says Brexit is settled, is he dealing with the political reality of where we now or being opportunistic?
With an 80 seat Tory majority elected on a ticket of 'getting it done' ? Most remainers have now accepted it's a reality, bar a monumental flip-flop, but very few would actively promote a hard Brexit as Javid is doing.

IndoMike

The point about Ministers having a free vote is a good one, so my point about collective cabinet responsibility does not apply. Apologies Mike.
That said, the official position of HMG was to advocate for Remain, nothing wrong with a politician changing his position to mirror a new democratically arrived at reality IMO.
Newspapers this morning saying that no deal preparations are being stepped up for fear of an early collapse in the trade deal talks. Cummings stating that Brussels has not cottoned on to the fact that the U.K. will not align with the EU on trade.
Your apology is humbly accepted. Thanks
But wasn't it only a week ago that Johnson ordered the termination of the "No deal" department?
PS. I disagree with almost everything you say on politics but you do always front up and are consistent, which I can respect.

IndoMike

With an 80 seat Tory majority elected on a ticket of 'getting it done' ? Most remainers have now accepted it's a reality, bar a monumental flip-flop, but very few would actively promote a hard Brexit as Javid is doing.
There's no defence for the Chancellor. It's clear : he has no principles and sold out.
",Economic disaster" Mr. Chancellor. Your words, not mine.