• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Those poor Norveners with their high speed rail links right around the corner and numerous other multi billion pound projects past, present and future always bleating on about how badly off they are when apart from London area more public monies go north than anywhere else !
Look at the Rockbeare bypass how long that took to get off the ground and the half a$$ed road that we were left with to see the southwest regions don't even raise a blip on the radar as far as public spending goes.
It must be very frustrating for the Leavers - waiting so long for your dreams to come true.
But Parliament is taking back control {from Bojo :) ) and quite rightly choosing to scrutinise BoJo's deal.
Of course, if the Tory Chancellor would conduct and share the economic assessment, things could speed up a bit. Unfortunately, he doesn't want
the public to know the economic assessment.
Meanwhile, it's better that BoJo stops his silly threats: he's only PM in name only and nobody takes any notice of him. It's between the EU and our Parliament.

IndoMike

Johnson is such a poor imitation of Trump, and what a person to choose to imitate!
It' so pathetic that he continues to focus on Corbyn for the Brexit delays.
Does he need to be constantly reminded that it is a largish group of Tories and ex-Tories combined with his friends from the DUP that are making the difference.?

IndoMike

Johnson wants an election, but you can't always get what you want.
Better to take a long holiday JoJo: at the moment you are an irrelevance.

tavyred

Johnson wants an election, but you can't always get what you want.
Better to take a long holiday JoJo: at the moment you are an irrelevance.
I’m not sure BJ isn’t quite happy with the current state of affairs Mike. Riding high in the polls with the main opposition too frit to call an election, his parliamentary party of 286 MP’s voted en bloc for his deal twice yesterday. Sooner or later he gets a GE, where he will in a fair wind get a working majority to get his deal through. If that makes BJ an irrelevance, where do you place Magic Grandpa?

arthur

where do you place Magic Grandpa?
In the dustbin of history.

Labour's only hope of avoiding a humiliation is that Johnson makes enough soothing noises to the South to keep the Farage fox alive

elginCity

Not convinced, Labour will do better than polling suggests (as in 2017) despite Magic Grandpa.

Presumably Brexit will dominate the GE, tactical voting by the remain base should bolster Corbyn sufficiently to avoid any humiliation.

Agree with Tavy's take on Johnson, pulling faces in the House fools nobody, he'll be happy with the direction of travel.

IndoMike

I’m not sure BJ isn’t quite happy with the current state of affairs Mike. Riding high in the polls with the main opposition too frit to call an election, his parliamentary party of 286 MP’s voted en bloc for his deal twice yesterday. Sooner or later he gets a GE, where he will in a fair wind get a working majority to get his deal through. If that makes BJ an irrelevance, where do you place Magic Grandpa?
I did say "at the moment", Tavy. At the moment he's not in control of the BREXIT process.
I agree totally that Corbyn has little to offer : I've already posted that whilst he has some good ideas he does not have the oomph, the personality, to sway voters. He comes across as "grumpy old man" (like many of us posters 😊).
I don't want to make any predictions about the GE. It's not impossible that the LibDems will take votes from centrist Tories (but they'll also take votes from Labour, too ). The Greens might increase their vote, too. If only Labour had a half-decent candidate

Alistair20000

If only Labour had a half-decent candidate
BREXIT DEBATE DIVERSION

O.K. then Lefties of these boards.

Who would you like as the next Labour leader ? Please include workings.

What happened to SEMOD Dan Jarvis ? His CV should scare the Tories half to death.

DB9

BREXIT DEBATE DIVERSION

O.K. then Lefties of these boards.

Who would you like as the next Labour leader ? Please include workings.

What happened to SEMOD Dan Jarvis ? His CV should scare the Tories half to death.
Dan Jarvis is Mayor of Sheffield I think, Andy Burnham another good choice IMO is Mayor of Manchester

arthur

Dan Jarvis is Mayor of Sheffield I think, Andy Burnham another good choice IMO is Mayor of Manchester
I can remember when David Blunkett stood for Parliament he observed that had he lived in France or the US, then being in charge of a major regional City like Sheffield he would have had far more power and clout than as a back bencher in the legislature...

As to Al's question, there is no answer that even vaguely leaps to mind. The worthy but dull and unappealing Rayner and Long Bailey do not inspire confidence. Starmer would be a safe pair of hands and maybe the Attlee that we need to calm things down a bit and do sensible things in the aftermath of a difficult few years. Clive Lewis looked good but he's rather faded from sight.. I have always admired Stella Creasey but I'm not sure she's got what it takes to be a leader. I can remember shouting Hallelujah when she said that we should start again with all public spending - why are we doing it, what's it for - rather than keep fiddling with the inherited orthodoxies and changing them up or down a bit. A very quick Google revealed I hadn't imagined this