• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's election day in Oz, the final votes are coming in as a write, I'm sure you are all riveted !!!......very very close !!....makes the posturing in the UK seem tame !!
Mixed news this morning Mr Posse. I read that Labor is on course for a majority and also that Scott Morrison and the Coalition may win comfortably.

What news from Exeweb ‘s resident Australian correspondent ?

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Mixed news this morning Mr Posse. I read that Labor is on course for a majority and also that Scott Morrison and the Coalition may win comfortably.

What news from Exeweb ‘s resident Australian correspondent ?
I think the coalition will shade it, so that's labour winning by a country mile then :). Extremely close, the Coalition have been hanging in there, they hung on in NSW in the state elections (the Gladys effect), but the constant infighting and chopping and changing of leaders does make them look less attractive nationally. Not allowed to vote over here but my partner has. You have to by law over here if you are a citizen and they usually get +95% turnouts as you get a small fine if you don't.

They are calling it the generational election here, where the young are concerned with not getting on the property ladder (even more of a problem here than in the UK), and the young being very actively green, but with the older generations having a lot tied up in property (sound familiar ?). Negative gearing anybody ?

Alistair20000

I think the coalition will shade it, so that's labour winning by a country mile then :). Extremely close, the Coalition have been hanging in there, they hung on in NSW in the state elections (the Gladys effect), but the constant infighting and chopping and changing of leaders does make them look less attractive nationally. Not allowed to vote over here but my partner has. You have to by law over here if you are a citizen and they usually get +95% turnouts as you get a small fine if you don't.

They are calling it the generational election here, where the young are concerned with not getting on the property ladder (even more of a problem here than in the UK), and the young being very actively green, but with the older generations having a lot tied up in property (sound familiar ?). Negative gearing anybody ?
Thanks AP (y) It does sound rather familiar.

elginCity

100k or so of the Tory blazer, old school tie, twinset and pearl brigade will determine this nation's next PM.

The Times polling puts Johnson in the lead with 40%. Apparently in a democracy the people get the leaders they deserve, do they feck !

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh no. :( Should I change it?
I fear the damage is done now that I've mentioned the old bull****ter. Mea culpa and all that.

IndoMike

FFS clear your PM inbox man :mad:
Space cleared. Please remember this is the new, squeaky clean politics thread. No angry emoticons allowed.

DB9

I can't bring myself to vote for Change UK, One of the reasons is that the Ex-Tories in them are the same people who happily voted for welfare cuts, bedroom tax and numerous other issues relating to the most vulnerable in our society, I am despairing that the Ex-Labour people are happy to form a party with them, I do realise that its because of Brexit but when and if it dies down and they have to deal with the normal day to day domestic stuff, I can't see them agreeing on much

Grecian2K

Oh, So he's also decided unilaterally to block the other thread. No choice for we prols, No request to close ....just closed.
I'm out.
In Hants' defence I did kind of make a request somewhat along these lines last week.

Mea culpa - I humbly apologise (but do feel that the new title is much more appropriate for the situation today (Although I still think that "The Official ExeWeb Politics Today Thread" would have had more of a ring to it.)

Last edited:

nick_exmouth

Brexit Party for me.

Tories won't get my vote again

Temporarily Exiled

I can't bring myself to vote for Change UK, One of the reasons is that the Ex-Tories in them are the same people who happily voted for welfare cuts, bedroom tax and numerous other issues relating to the most vulnerable in our society, I am despairing that the Ex-Labour people are happy to form a party with them, I do realise that its because of Brexit but when and if it dies down and they have to deal with the normal day to day domestic stuff, I can't see them agreeing on much
I think much the same as you here, but it'd still be seen as a very clear pro-EU vote. If voting for Change UK was the best way to maximise my voting power, I'd have done so. As things stood as I sent my ballot off, Lib Dems were seen as the best way to go.

Brexit Party for me.

Tories won't get my vote again
For 6 months? If BoJo is PM and calls an election, you won't vote Conservative?

Last edited: