• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Bittners a Legend

Yes she's clearly the natural successor to Corbyn : no doubt about it
I still think Starmer will win and the bookies view is the same - and they aren't stupid
But I'm just getting the niggling feeling that Starmer is a bit of a plodder whereas RLB is a fighter. Could just be body language.
It seems like Labour needs stability at the moment, but who knows?
I know it isn't the attitude within the mad left of the Labour Party but the question should be - who could beat Boris Johnson in five years? The answer might be none of them but I imagine Keir Starmer is the person Jason would least like to see as leader.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The answer might be none of them but I imagine Keir Starmer is the person Jason would least like to see as leader.
Indeed - as I said a few pages back, he's the one of the five who you could see standing shoulder to shoulder with the other world leaders. I've also said my reasons why I think he'd make very little progress in terms of elections (mainly as Remoaner-in-Chief) but of course 2024 is a long time away and the dust may have settled by then.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it isn't the attitude within the mad left of the Labour Party but the question should be - who could beat Boris Johnson in five years? The answer might be none of them but I imagine Keir Starmer is the person Jason would least like to see as leader.
Yes, I agree, I agree. That"s how it looks.
I'm only saying I have a niggling doubt about him. Have to see how he performs at the dispatch box.

elginCity

....... I've also said my reasons why I think he'd make very little progress in terms of elections (mainly as Remoaner-in-Chief) but of course 2024 is a long time away and the dust may have settled by then.
"Remoaner-in-Chief" :ROFLMAO:

Quite laughable is the presumption that Brexit will turn out to be anything other than a clusterfiick, and based on what exactly ?

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't watch Question Time, but I'm beginning to wish I did last night thanks to actor Laurence Fox. While the BBC led on his spat with an audience member over the Duchess of Sussex (someone it turns out has been engaged by the BBC previously), some of his other comments have drawn wry amusement. I liked it when asked which of the Labour candidates he preferred, he began to answer about Starmer. Baroness Chuckmeapeerage interrupted to ask about the four women, he sighed and said "Jeepers creepers" before eventually saying "OK, any of the women then".

Then today there's this:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
"Remoaner-in-Chief" :ROFLMAO:

Quite laughable is the presumption that Brexit will turn out to be anything other than a clusterfiick, and based on what exactly ?
Do you really think Labour's shift in terms of its Brexit policy was down to the Glorious Leader undergoing some kind of damascene conversion? Or was it, perchance, down to the Shadow Brexit Secretary (who was employed at Mischon de Reya - Gina Miller's lawyers - before taking up the post), the first member of the Shadow Cabinet to actively and officially call for a second referendum, and who has effectively been in charge of Labour's Brexit policy for the past three years?

tavyred

Last nights QT was a joy to behold, recommend watching on catch up Jase.
Young Fox is well worth the watch, my favourite moment however was the fella in the audience who after Shami Chakrabarti made the usual hackneyed point about BJ being posh and privileged, reminded her she was a Baroness in the House of Lords. Her face was a picture.
The programme was a neatly packaged microcosm of U.K. politics I thought. Tories optimistic and speaking the language of real people, Labour and it’s supporters mired in and seemingly obsessed with the politics of identity.

DB9

At the moment regarding Labour you have fight within the party, Those who want to blame the media, Corbyn bashing, Brexit but still "Won the argument" and don't see losing the GE by a record amount is anything to do with their policies or leader and those who seem to be silenced and knew how bad the GE campaign, Policies and leader and are desperate to find a leader who can steer them in the right direction and hopefully have a decent shot at a future GE.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment regarding Labour you have fight within the party, Those who want to blame the media, Corbyn bashing, Brexit but still "Won the argument" and don't see losing the GE by a record amount is anything to do with their policies or leader and those who seem to be silenced and knew how bad the GE campaign, Policies and leader and are desperate to find a leader who can steer them in the right direction and hopefully have a decent shot at a future GE.
Indeed, plus as I'm wont to mention Labour is still currently in a rock and hard place situation as regards its membership vs its core electorate regarding the "B" word. They knew going into the election that whichever platform they stood on they were going to lose voters from either their metropolitan Remain base or their provincial Leave base, but probably figured (wrongly, as it turned out) their vote in the provinces was less elastic.

The best thing for Labour now could well be to accept Brexit is happening, by all means scrutinise everything (as an opposition should do) but hope that by 2024 the fuss will have died down (or, of course, the doomsday scenarios come to pass and they can campaign on rejoining) and that they can campaign on domestic matters.

DB9

Indeed, plus as I'm wont to mention Labour is still currently in a rock and hard place situation as regards its membership vs its core electorate regarding the "B" word. They knew going into the election that whichever platform they stood on they were going to lose voters from either their metropolitan Remain base or their provincial Leave base, but probably figured (wrongly, as it turned out) their vote in the provinces was less elastic.

The best thing for Labour now could well be to accept Brexit is happening, by all means scrutinise everything (as an opposition should do) but hope that by 2024 the fuss will have died down (or, of course, the doomsday scenarios come to pass and they can campaign on rejoining) and that they can campaign on domestic matters.
Very true, I was a bit castigated for saying about the metropolitan Labour part being out of touch with the ordinary, Hard working Labour voter and as the GE showed, They were out of touch, Had forgotten them and apparently I did read somewhere that Corbyn never visited a factory or building site, If that's true then the deserved all they got. As for the EU, Labour should now accept it's going to happen, Have a new leader and help make sure we get the best deals possible for EVERYONE in the UK, Don't just oppose for the sake of it. If it goes belly up then fine, Give a decent, reasoned argument to rejoin, Not just rejoin at any cost and let the public decide. If things by 2024 are pretty much as you were then just move on