• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Corbyn just didn't want to be seen accepting a Tory Brexit and as we've seen it worked out well for him!
No surprise there i suppose.
The daft nature of politics...Better off agreeing to Mays deal.If it went t1ts up,there would have been a good chance of his party being elected in 2022.
2030 at the earliest now I would imagine.

IndoMike

Long-Bailey will be selected as new Labour leader. Nailed on certainty.
Jess Philips is Swinson Mark II
I'd vote for Starmer; he could win the next election.

Alistair20000

Long-Bailey will be selected as new Labour leader. Nailed on certainty.
Jess Philips is Swinson Mark II
I'd vote for Starmer; he could win the next election.
Magic Grandpa is I think lining up Wrong-Daily in anticipation she will carry on with his mission but just as Johnny Major tacked away from the policies of Mrs Thatcher W-D might do a Kinnock and start to pull Labour back towards the centre ground.

You may be right about Jess but I think she wants a go at it.

Starmer is another part of the Metropolitan elite and always has a worried look on his face. That does not inspire voters. Looks a loser to me.

At least you have not suggested the dreadful Lady Nugee, the hopeless Diane Abbott, the preposterous Richard Burgon or Barry the Bore Gardiner.

IndoMike

You can have all.the good policies in the world, but if you are never in power they don't count for much. Labour has to compromise a little, and stick to :
1. Ensuring the NHS is in good health
2. Building the housing they promised in their manifesto
3. Establishing a Ministry for Deprived areas
4. Increasing and improving the number of drug rehabilitation centres
5. Privatising the railways
6. Improving the monitoring of banks and other financial sevices
7. Increasing taxes on companies (with a certain level of turnover) and the rich but not by a Draconian amount
8. Improving and increasing training in IT, the trades, and entrepreneurship. Failure to attend such training should result in loss of benefits ( yes, controversial, I know)
9. Improving the benefits system, using common sense and fairness.
10 improving customer service for contact with all public services.

There are many more things a government can do.
These are hardly revolutionary Marxist policies.

I doubt if Ling-Bailey can shake off the Momentum influence. I think she wouldn't stand a cat's chance in hell of winning a GE. It has to be someone electable

Rosencrantz

Magic Grandpa is I think lining up Wrong-Daily in anticipation she will carry on with his mission but just as Johnny Major tacked away from the policies of Mrs Thatcher W-D might do a Kinnock and start to pull Labour back towards the centre ground.

You may be right about Jess but I think she wants a go at it.

Starmer is another part of the Metropolitan elite and always has a worried look on his face. That does not inspire voters. Looks a loser to me.

At least you have not suggested the dreadful Lady Nugee, the hopeless Diane Abbott, the preposterous Richard Burgon or Barry the Bore Gardiner.
Interesting that when asked who should be the next leader, Caroline Flint stated either Lisa Nandy or Long-Bailey even though Long-Bailey is being seen as a Corbyn favourite. She naturally dismissed anyone involved in Brexit policy or a London based constituency.

Alistair20000

Interesting that when asked who should be the next leader, Caroline Flint stated either Lisa Nandy or Long-Bailey even though Long-Bailey is being seen as a Corbyn favourite. She naturally dismissed anyone involved in Brexit policy or a London based constituency.
I believe it requires a left wing leader who is prepared to trim his/her policies to drag the Labour party back to the centre ground where elections are won. Such as Neil Kinnock who paved the way for John Smith (who sadly died) leaving the Reverend Blair to win three elections as the Conservative party imploded in 1997. I have always felt the Welsh windbag did not get enough credit for what he achieved.

tavyred

Really curious as to how Labour squares it’s Brexit circle. It has to decide pretty soon where it stands on the issue, does it go forward as a rejoin party thus further isolating the North or does it treat it as a broadly settled issue which will no doubt irritate its middle class metropolitan membership and voters.

DB9

Really curious as to how Labour squares it’s Brexit circle. It has to decide pretty soon where it stands on the issue, does it go forward as a rejoin party thus further isolating the North or does it treat it as a broadly settled issue which will no doubt irritate its middle class metropolitan membership and voters.
Easy, Accept, move on and be there if things go tits up regarding Brexit, As we know for all of Johnson's blustering we still don't know how good or bad Brexit will be, Own Government figures says the economy will contract, Just they're not too sure by how much

IndoMike

It can't square it without internecine political warfare. It took 3 years to square Brexit : it's not an easy thing to do.
Corbyn and the NEC will fight tooth and nail for L-B to be chosen as leader, and they usually get thei
If Labour chooses someone left-centre what will/can they stand for?
Logically, if Johnson proves to be an opportunist rather than a right wing ideologue, he will move to the centre and keep pushing Labour further to the left, which it seems the British public is not yet ready for.
So for me Labour's hopes depend on Johnson keeping the party to the right, being seen as uncaring and incompetent. and farking up Brexit.
If that doesn't happen. Labour has ten years to decide which path it wants to follow. The Tories are controlling events, no matter who Labour chooses.

IndoMike

So the next BREXIT dust-up is the EU requesting an extension into 2021 but Johnson and Gove insisting negotiations will be terminated by end 2020.