• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn't it Black Monday the rate shot up a few times to 15% on that day alone?
Yes it was.

A rate around 10-12% was the norm back then
I dread to think what would happen if those rates ever appeared again with the amount of huge mortgages which were allowed until the banking collapse.

DB9

Yes it was.

A rate around 10-12% was the norm back then
I dread to think what would happen if those rates ever appeared again with the amount of huge mortgages which were allowed until the banking collapse.
I wouldn't imagine that the Tories would have been in power for nearly a decade (Coalition 2010-15) with Austerity and interest rates as high as 10-12%, My belief is that the low rates we have now have been a god send for them

Oldsmobile-88

I wouldn't imagine that the Tories would have been in power for nearly a decade (Coalition 2010-15) with Austerity and interest rates as high as 10-12%, My belief is that the low rates we have now have been a god send for them
Indeed.

Though paradoxically,In 1992 Major did gain a majority despite the chaos in the money markets & homeowners feeling the pinch.

Different times & expectations.

DB9

Indeed.

Though paradoxically,In 1992 Major did gain a majority despite the chaos in the money markets & homeowners feeling the pinch.

Different times & expectations.
He did have Neil Kinnock as Labour leader, Wait no difference from today. Do remember a Spitting Image sketch where John Major and other cabinet members were looking into the camera and saying how stupid the public was for voting for them after the chaos of Black Monday

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
No mention yet of corbyn and the Queens speech ?

Attachments

DB9

No mention yet of corbyn and the Queens speech ?
I'm sorry but really?? Thought we were all a bit mature than that.

As for the Queens Speech 90% of the country don't watch it so him not watching it is no biggie, No matter the headline in the Mail and Express. He was a ***** trying to say he did watch it but is this really important news?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sorry but really?? Thought we were all a bit mature than that.

As for the Queens Speech 90% of the country don't watch it so him not watching it is no biggie, No matter the headline in the Mail and Express. He was a ***** trying to say he did watch it but is this really important news?
Its as relevant in a politics thread as some other posts !
BTW I always watch the Queens speech I think it gives an insight into the thinking and world of HM Queen Elizabeth

DB9

Its as relevant in a politics thread as some other posts !
Never said it was irrelevant, Just think who does or does not watch the Queens Speech is not important when voting, Lots more other things to worry about

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never said it was irrelevant, Just think who does or does not watch the Queens Speech is not important when voting, Lots more other things to worry about
Surely it does when he has to lie about something as small as that ?

DB9

Surely it does when he has to lie about something as small as that ?
No not really, our PM vowed to stop drinking till Brexit was delivered, Only to be seen drinking whiskey the next day. Told NI exporters they wouldn't need to fill in extra paperwork when the UK leaves the EU, When they will have to. Promising 40 new hospitals when only 6 new are being built, 50k new nurses recruited when 19k were already employed. Far more important "Lies" than watching a speech don't you think