• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Royal family are apolitical and their role within politics today are mostly ceremonial and stay out of politics as much as is possible.
You'd need to be very naive to think that our royal family are apolitical and stay out of politics as much as possible.

I was a bit surprised to see bumbling Boris to say Prince Andrew was a good ambassador for British business, but I guess the current PM does have lower morals than the rest of us.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's a shame His Royal Dryness can't keep out of 17yr old girls knickers.
Ooh err missus 🤫

P.S. Would “allegedly” be more appropriate?

IndoMike

The problem is that PA has never had to use his brain very much due to his entitled existence, so he is pretty thick. His brain is in a different location - know what I mean?
As a renowned philanderer - the press used to call.him Randy Andy - it is no surprise that he has been involved in very dodgy goings-on.
It is also no surprise that he probably doesn't think that a mature adult having his way (allegedly) with a teenage kid is not reproachable. He certainly hardly referred to victims of sex slavery and abuse or showed any sympathy.
The fact that he was (allegedly) a war hero during the Falklands/Malvinas war doesn't excuse him from any other crimes.
To be honest, his story was full of dubious recollections and alibis and nobody is believing him, including some sponsors who are abandoning him and many newspapers.. It didn't add up..He is innocent until proven guilty, but he needs to appear before a court to clear his name.
The only connection with politics is how Johnson or Corbyn will deal with this if the problem lands on their plate, and indeed how Trump will react.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Vive la Republique.

Vive l'Anglais.

Vive la liberté.

arthur

Vive la Republique.

Vive l'Anglais.

Vive la liberté.
The Queen is literally the last person capable of performing the role of monarch and she has done it extraordinarily well and I think she's wonderful. We should now be preparing for her departure and deciding how we might end up with an elected head of state who isn't a pillock.

As with most things, the Irish seem to be far ahead of us and manage to elect fully functioning likeable human beings as their president. Perhaps we should consult them. Some citizens assemblies (another Irish custom) to consider the matter would be a good idea also

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Queen is literally the last person capable of performing the role of monarch and she has done it extraordinarily well and I think she's wonderful. We should now be preparing for her departure and deciding how we might end up with an elected head of state who isn't a pillock.

As with most things, the Irish seem to be far ahead of us and manage to elect fully functioning likeable human beings as their president. Perhaps we should consult them. Some citizens assemblies (another Irish custom) to consider the matter would be a good idea also
It would be great to have that conversation, along with reform of the House of Lords. A constitutional president, buy without too many powers. Perhaps as a compromise we could have Prince Charles as the first president? :)

IndoMike

You should start a thread on abolishing the Royal family. Or maybe Hants can. It would be interesting to see what the current opinions of posters.

DB9

Little story from the other side of the pond, According to reports Donald Trump Jr has accused Joe Biden of using his father's name to get on,. This is coming from DONALD TRUMP jr, I guess he hasn't used the Trump name to influence things? 🙄

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I've been watching coverage of old elections lately, and have the 1983 one running in the background. Was very interesting seeing Neil Kinnock arguing against the UK's membership of the EEC (likewise the young whippersnapper elected in Sedgefield that year campaigned on withdrawing).

DB9

I've been watching coverage of old elections lately, and have the 1983 one running in the background. Was very interesting seeing Neil Kinnock arguing against the UK's membership of the EEC (likewise the young whippersnapper elected in Sedgefield that year campaigned on withdrawing).
The coverage is a world away from today's TV,. Even though I'm probably wrong it seems that back then they more "Honest" and not having the likes of social media at hand, Felt like the politicians were actually talking to you.
Probably sad that I find election night from years gone by interesting