• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrong-Daily looks a bit too fierce with a grating voice. Starmer looks constantly worried or constipated, or both. It should not matter how someone looks but it does make a difference. Thing Red Ed and Rory Stewart. Not sure if Stella Creasey is still on the VFM appraisal of public expenditure path which I approve of 100%

Anyone for Jess Phillips ? Or is she too busy being Jess Phillips ?
Whatever happened to Yvette Cooper? Thought she'd be a front runner?

Alistair20000

His missed chances came earlier than that when he should've challenged Gordon Brown for the leadership a) just after Blair stood down and b) a year before the 2010 election where it looked like Brown was going to get the drubbing he eventually got. He dithered on both occasions iirc and the rest is history.
Similar to Michael Portfolio when he chickened out of challenging Johnny Major back in 1995

Alistair20000

Whatever happened to Yvette Cooper? Thought she'd be a front runner?
Looks a bit weary these days.

IndoMike

BREXIT DEBATE DIVERSION

O.K. then Lefties of these boards.

Who would you like as the next Labour leader ? Please include workings.

What happened to SEMOD Dan Jarvis ? His CV should scare the Tories half to death.
I like Keir Starmer. Self-made man, very intelligent,/very well educated, not elitist or up his own arse, seems honest, experienced, has social conscience, right age. Seen him a few times on the telly recently and he came across well

IndoMike

Merkel spokesman just announced that Germany will not oppose extension. No surprise there. The EU will always extend when it is requested.

Mr Jinx

Personally, I think Hilary Benn would make their best leader. It'd never happen though. Corbyn could never come close to Benn's speech on Syria intervention.

Merkel spokesman just announced that Germany will not oppose extension. No surprise there. The EU will always extend when it is requested.

All eyes on Hungary then.

arthur

I really can't see what the problem is. Get a flexible extension, scrutinise the bill carefully, amend it where necessary and pass it. Then leave. If this takes shorter than the extension period granted, bring the Leave date forward, or sit tight and pass the time doing something else until the Leave date arrives. Then have a General Election once we've left to determine how we're going to be governed over the next five years. Can the Leavers explain to me what's wrong this? It strikes me that the only thing at risk is Boris Johnson's pride. Ken Clarke made the same point:

“Will my right honourable friend get over his disappointment and accept that Oct 31 is now Halloween and it is devoid of any symbolic or political content and will fade away into historical memory very rapidly,”

Alistair20000

Despite all the talk/threat of no more extensions.

No doubt all the rest of the Members have been told and not to bother having a different view.

Bittners a Legend

His missed chances came earlier than that when he should've challenged Gordon Brown for the leadership a) just after Blair stood down and b) a year before the 2010 election where it looked like Brown was going to get the drubbing he eventually got. He dithered on both occasions iirc and the rest is history.
I'm not sure he would have won in 2007. Might not even have won in 2009 but if he had it would hardly have been a desirable situation for him. David Miliband's "mistake" in 2010 was refusing to renounce Blairism. The Labour Party has got exactly what it deserved for the way that ludicrous leadership election took place, each one more desperate than the last to denounce the previous 13 years rather than celebrate it and learn from the mistakes.

Dan Jarvis supported the government yesterday. I wonder whether that, rightly or wrongly, would harm any chances he has of being leader.

The Labour Party Parliament party is packed full of political careerists. What have any of these people achieved in the real world? They've all worked their way up from within the party having often done little more than served as low level solicitors, accountants, journalists giving them neither the blue collar experience to reach voters or white collar experience at a level to make them suitable for parliament. Not suggesting him now but the Labour Party perhaps needs someone like Alan Johnson, although he of course stood and lost as deputy leader to Harriet Harman years ago.

Bittners a Legend

Despite all the talk/threat of no more extensions.

No doubt all the rest of the Members have been told and not to bother having a different view.
To be fair here Al - I think everything the EU uttered was at the request of Johnson. They just want a deal passed and to move on. It wasn't the EU threatening the British government.