• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indo. Post 7075: it is poor form to ask yourself a question and to refer to yourself as Tavy. As Big John B would holler: Sort yourself out man. :) Take a pill or summat.

Just saying like.
Yes. I know. It had to be that sequence .
And Tavy answered it. I knew he"d see it. Now go out and feed the pigs on yer farm or have fun with a Finn 😉

Alistair20000

Yes. I know. It had to be that sequence .
And Tavy answered it. I knew he"d see it. Now go out and feed the pigs on yer farm or have fun with a Finn 😉
No pigs at present Indo but the farmer has 7 sheep in my orchard so maybe pleasure beckons. :)

Grecian2K

No pigs at present Indo but the farmer has 7 sheep in my orchard so maybe pleasure beckons. :)
Didn't realise that you were running the Tedburn Leisure Centre Al?

Spoonz Red E

We don't want any fine toothed combs thank you. Once people start looking at the details, Henry 8 powers etc. who knows what they'll find. Far better to rush the bill through and if anyone suggests that democratic scrutiny might be a good idea, brand them as wreckers who want to ignore the result of the referendum and commit a democratic outrage.
Where's the 'principled' Christopher Chope when you need him?

arthur

Rory Stewart, like an increasing number of MPs, is currently running rogue and this is part of the problem.
FFS! He voted for Brexit three times (unlike most of Johnson's cabinet) and is seeking binding assurances that we don't leave the transition period with no deal on 31/12/2020. Since when is this the behaviour of a rogue?

IndoMike

Didn't realise that you were running the Tedburn Leisure Centre Al?
:) :)
The Tedburn Conservative Club, Shirley?

tavyred

FFS! He voted for Brexit three times (unlike most of Johnson's cabinet) and is seeking binding assurances that we don't leave the transition period with no deal on 31/12/2020. Since when is this the behaviour of a rogue?
Rory Stewart is the biggest con job in politics. He ran away from his Prisons Minister job when it looked like he’d fail his own target on prisons violence, and is in the process of running away from his rural seat because during the Tory leadership campaign he became the most appealing candidate for the people least likely to vote Tory. Not surprisingly now he fancies himself as the next major of liberal London.

IndoMike

Rory Stewart is the biggest con job in politics. He ran away from his Prisons Minister job when it looked like he’d fail his own target on prisons violence, and is in the process of running away from his rural seat because during the Tory leadership campaign he became the most appealing candidate for the people least likely to vote Tory. Not surprisingly now he fancies himself as the next major of liberal London.
Another opportunist? Certainly gets a helluva lot of publicity for someone who has achieved so little.

arthur

A friend had a conversation with one of Tavy's "the people" while in a taxi in Sunderland as they were driving past the Nissan works:

"I expect you're wondering why, when we've got this car factory here, we all voted for Brexit. Well I'll tell you. It's because life is shit up here and you southerners just don't get it. If we're suffering it's about time you did as well".

It is democratically unthinkable not to grant this taxi driver his wish I'm told. Not because he's right, or because leaving the EU will improve the lot of himself and his fellow mackems, but simply because he's in a majority.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's unreasonable to question whether this line of reasoning is the best way to determine my children and grandchildren's future

arthur

A civil servant writes:

Much of this Yellowhammer shtick is just for show. As a civil servant I’m angry about that – and so should you be. There’s a risk, though, of anger giving way to boredom. Even this week, the prime minister is counting on MPs just being too bored to scrutinise the dense legalese of the 110-page withdrawal agreement bill within three backbreaking days. They are, understandably, pushing back against being bounced into glossing over the fine print. And why not, when this kind of cynical expediency at any other critical juncture would horrify most people?

... I’m not an expert on the finer points of Johnson’s new deal, but it feels as if MPs are being gaslighted into congratulating him for the political equivalent of negotiating full price on a DFS sofa.

Heaven help us if no deal actually happens. Because, even with the best efforts of civil servants like me, Operation Yellowhammer won’t be enough, even with its enormous price tag. Not even close. And while – outrageously – there won’t be any economic analysis prepared by the government on the impact of the new deal, we already know – thanks to Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts – that the impact of no deal will make the £6.3bn spent this year on no-deal planning look like peanuts.

Another enemy of the people, a lily livered member of the metropolitan elite. Why can't they just get Brexit done? They are there to carry out the people's orders after all....