• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Express reporting that it might be 6 by Monday, Zahawi being one.
If true, wow, just wow

Alistair20000

If true, wow, just wow
Zahawi has denied this Jinxy.

Do keep up :)

Grecian2K

Asking a bit much there Al.
Jigzy is still too preoccupied following the live feed of the Battle of Agincourt.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If true, wow, just wow
It not. The splash in the Sunday Times tomorrow is:
'Allies abandon Johnson as Tory mutiny falls flat'.

Mr Jinx

Well, ok that's good. Like I said, too much too soon.

Keep yer powder a bit dry folks. A staggered approach much more needed. Sunak looking more toast by the day.

Mr Jinx

...for the binary lovers out there.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
...for the binary lovers out there.
You were speculating that six Tory MPs, including Zahawi, might have resigned by the close of play on Monday.

I was pointing out that ain't gonna happen. Seems to me a simple case of fact or fiction!

arthur

Observer says much the same. The Tories are sick of Johnson - the weird membership, including lapsed members in West Devon, may still carry a torch for him but those with any power or influence in the party are determined to cast him into outer darkness and make sure he stays there.

tavyred

Observer says much the same. The Tories are sick of Johnson - the weird membership, including lapsed members in West Devon, may still carry a torch for him but those with any power or influence in the party are determined to cast him into outer darkness and make sure he stays there.
It’s a brave if not foolish man who seeks to tell anyone what the dominant view is within the broad church that is the Tory party. BJ is in my view still the darling of the rank and file and even if the movers and shakers at the top of the party do detest him greatly, it’s probably going to take a major change in party rules to ultimately block him from having another tilt at the leadership. I sense the grandees if Sunak can’t sneak a win are more than happy to see out a period of opposition in order to reestablish a bit of Tory normality post the high drama of the BJ era, but as I suggested yesterday BJ unlike Corbyn has not been dealt a knockout blow at a GE, he has history of electoral success and a more than cogent argument to say he was targeted unduly by elements who never forgave him for Brexit.
Write him off at your peril.

Last edited:

arthur

It’s a brave if not foolish man who seeks to tell anyone what the dominant view is within the broad church that is the Tory party. BJ is in my view still the darling of the rank and file and even if the movers and shakers at the top of the party do detest him greatly, it’s probably going to take a major change in party rules to ultimately block him from having another tilt at the leadership. I sense the grandees if Sunak can’t sneak a win are more than happy to see out a period of opposition in order to reestablish a bit of Tory normality post the high drama of the BJ era, but as I suggested yesterday BJ unlike Corbyn has not been dealt a knockout blow at a GE, he has history of electoral success and a more than cogent argument to say he was targeted unduly by elements who never forgave him for Brexit.
Write him off at your peril.
Can you explain how this Prince over the Water will become party leader? I don't think it's particularly brave or foolish to suggest that:
1. The Tories will lose the election
2. Sunak will resign to spend more time with his money
3. There will be a leadership election in which Johnson will not be a candidate as he won't be an MP
4. The new leader starts to establish themselves, and begins the long hard task of making the Conservative Party a serious political force, capable of winning elections.
5. Johnson, now in his sixties, manages to win a by-election.

Personally I think 5 is unlikely, because he will have calmed down by then and realised that leading a rump party against a government majority of over 100 is not an appealing prospect.

But even if 5 does happen, why on earth would a party that has just elected a new leader, whom the vast majority want to get behind and support, want to replace them with Johnson? This is what's already happening with Sunak, as Johnson's failed insurrection have demonstrated.

Perhaps you suggest he will bide his time and make his move in the fourth year of the new parliament, but this sounds extremely unlikely, for all sorts of reasons...