• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes Tavy. Congrats. It’s much easier to do business in the UK for foreign businesses. All those barriers protecting our interests… gone.

Now, what about all those barriers that went up with the bulk of our trade, to our nearest neighbours?
You succinctly flag up the choices inherent in our Brexit decision Spanks.
Tie ourselves to a protectionist trading bloc with a diminishing share of world trade or be an advocate of global free trade and make ourselves open to trade with the parts of the world where economic growth is expected to be exponential in the decades ahead.
Lest we forget however that our new FTA with our nearest trading partners is still not to be sniffed at.
BTW the bulk of our trade wasn’t with the EU it was with the rest of the world.

arthur

Very boring, please move on. About as exciting as the recent revelations that the Royal Family is rich and its ancestors had links to the slave trade. Viner out!

Oldsmobile-88

Anyone remember the Monorail episode of the Simpsons?
Nope...But I remember the wonderful Monorail at Butlins, Minehead 😎

DB9

Nope...But I remember the wonderful Monorail at Butlins, Minehead 😎
And the one at The National Motor Museum Beaulieu. :)

Spoonz Red E

Any Labourites on here care to comment on the Welsh Government’s refusal to sanction a full independent inquiry into their COVID response in Wales?
Seems a tad hypocritical for Labour to deny the Welsh people something they’re desperate to see happen at Westminster. 🤷‍♂️
The remit of the Covid enquiry is as follows ...

"The Inquiry will examine, consider and report on preparations and the response to the pandemic in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, up to and including the Inquiry’s formal setting-up date, 28 June 2022."

tavyred

The remit of the Covid enquiry is as follows ...

"The Inquiry will examine, consider and report on preparations and the response to the pandemic in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, up to and including the Inquiry’s formal setting-up date, 28 June 2022."

Thanks.
I’m talking of the rank hypocrisy within Labour circles of refusing a local inquiry in Wales and thus denying the Welsh people the proper scrutiny that will bring whilst clamouring for the fullest scrutiny on the Westminster government. BTW Scotland will carry out its own inquiry unlike Wales.
COVID family groups and trade unions in Wales have also expressed their dismay at the potential lack of scrutiny in the Welsh government’s actions as the U.K. inquiry only proposes to give a mere three weeks of its proposed time to the pandemic in Wales.
I believe Drakeford is quoted to have said no inquiry in Wales is needed because the “world has moved on”.
Imagine the reaction if a Tory PM said that.

arthur

Thanks.
I’m talking of the rank hypocrisy within Labour circles of refusing a local inquiry in Wales and thus denying the Welsh people the proper scrutiny that will bring whilst clamouring for the fullest scrutiny on the Westminster government. BTW Scotland will carry out its own inquiry unlike Wales.
COVID family groups and trade unions in Wales have also expressed their dismay at the potential lack of scrutiny in the Welsh government’s actions as the U.K. inquiry only proposes to give a mere three weeks of its proposed time to the pandemic in Wales.
I believe Drakeford is quoted to have said no inquiry in Wales is needed because the “world has moved on”.
Imagine the reaction if a Tory PM said that.
How much money would the Welsh government need to spend on a Covid enquiry? How could this expense be justified when Mr Drakeford and other people responsible for the Covid response in Wales are going to be appearing in front of Lady Hallet?

I note that Olive Dowden made your point at PMQs yesterday. As a member of the Tory party do you receive a daily briefing from Conservative HQ giving you lines to take when arguing with woke remaniac declinists? What's the recipe today Jim?

tavyred

How much money would the Welsh government need to spend on a Covid enquiry? How could this expense be justified when Mr Drakeford and other people responsible for the Covid response in Wales are going to be appearing in front of Lady Hallet?

I note that Olive Dowden made your point at PMQs yesterday. As a member of the Tory party do you receive a daily briefing from Conservative HQ giving you lines to take when arguing with woke remaniac declinists? What's the recipe today Jim?
Drakeford didn’t seem to be bothered by the potential onerous cost, he stated the world had simply moved on. Make of that what you will.
Dowden didn’t make my point, I made his, a subtle difference and again it’s a bit rich to be preached on peddling a narrative from the King of the Guardian link! 🙄
I’m a lapsed member now Art, my membership was based largely on being able to vote in the leadership election that everyone knew was coming. As a poor pensioner now, the cost of renewal didn’t not pass muster when I was sorting my finances in the spring. 🤷‍♂️

angelic upstart

pass muster
I'm taking this, and using it as regularly as possible. Not heard it in years and it's a classic.

Here to bring back proper sayings.

arthur

Drakeford didn’t seem to be bothered by the potential onerous cost, he stated the world had simply moved on. Make of that what you will.
Dowden didn’t make my point, I made his, a subtle difference and again it’s a bit rich to be preached on peddling a narrative from the King of the Guardian link! 🙄
I’m a lapsed member now Art, my membership was based largely on being able to vote in the leadership election that everyone knew was coming. As a poor pensioner now, the cost of renewal didn’t not pass muster when I was sorting my finances in the spring. 🤷‍♂️
But you're going to have an era defining leadership election within 18 months - rejoin now!

I am sorry that my posting numerous links from the Times and Spectator doesn't fit with your narrative that I am a slave to the Guardian, a paper I think is going steadily downhill as I have said on a number of occasions, not least yesterday.

But it is at least free, as is your Daily Mail, which you merely regurgitate without acknowledging your sauce. :p