• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Diddy man conducting a limited Cabinet reshuffle.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Copied shamelessly from a tweet I just saw...

"Rishi Sunak avoiding accusations of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, by instead rearranging the names on the back of them."

angelic upstart

A token gesture. He hasn't returned to the channel after having 2 heart attacks late last year and it was unlikely that he would. Doesn't stop the Graun lapping it up, of course.
Those heart attacks are probably vaccine related.

angelic upstart

Blue.

Here to help.
I'm applying for a new passport currently. Nothing to do with voting mind you.

angelic upstart

The idea that lots of folk dabble in the dark arts of offshore tax avoidance/evasion is yet more nonsense. It is a very small minority and HMRC does catch some of them. The penalties for those caught are severe.

Of course it serves the interests of dozy politicians to argue there is money galore to be collected to pay for their ambitious spending plans thus avoiding telling us the Great Unwashed that we will have to foot the bill.

The dozy members of the public lap this crap up of course.
So to be clear in my head. Trickle down works because the ultra wealthy will buy more stuff.
This bought stuff creates more jobs and this wealth for everyone?

So what happens if the ultra wealthy spend money on stuff that is made abroad and/or the company isn't British? Am I correct in saying the money actually leaves the UK and doesn't help everyone?

Let's use Prince Andrew as an example, he takes his daughter to a pizza express as a birthday treat. We know this. But with his new found wealth he decides to splash out a little more and when he buys his daughter and her guests the delicious pizza they share, he splurges on some of those dough balls that the kids like. In my eyes, the waiter was working anyway, won't receive any extra salary. The additional profit goes to the Chinese hedge fund that own pizza express. I suppose you could gain employees in the dough ball making business though.

arthur

It's a hard question - what is more likely to stimulate growth? Public investment in the public sector, giving jobs, wages and taxable income to many ( e.g. building Council houses) or giving rich people more money to buy a second/third/fourth home in Devon/Provence/St Lucia...

arthur

Blue.

Here to help.
Mine's black. Can't source a burgundy cover though, alas

Grecian2K

Copied shamelessly from a tweet I just saw...

"Rishi Sunak avoiding accusations of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, by instead rearranging the names on the back of them."
And Truss was the iceberg* that is helping to sink the SS Torytanic! (y)
*Other varieties of lettuce are available on request.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
And Truss was the iceberg* that is helping to sink the SS Torytanic! (y)
*Other varieties of lettuce are available on request.
A little gem there, G2k.

Grecian2K

Cos it needed saying Spanks.