• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
"I want us to have a better relationship with countries in Europe"

Yes, I can see what a politically dangerous thing to say this must be, in your imagination, if nowhere else. I fear you will have to manage your expectations about the conduct of the next general election.

And do enlighten us as to what constitutes an EU Shill. Presumably another term of abuse for people you don't agree with to add to your extensive collection.
The UK has an excellent relationship with Europe, except around the thorny issue of EU trade. History dictates that any improvement in the relationship with the EU will in effect mean closer alignment with the rules and regs therein.
Labour will want the Brexit debate to be very low key in the next GE campaign, but ironically I don’t think the pro-EU MSM will allow them that luxury. The Beeb and the chattering classes are obsessed with the Brexit argument as the hysteria over the last couple of days has shown.
Substitute the word Shill for Stooge and you have Sir Keith and the EU pretty much summed up IMO. Hardly abusive BTW. A couple posts ago you were using the invective ‘cnuts’. 🤷‍♂️

arthur

The Beeb and the chattering classes are obsessed with the Brexit argument as the hysteria over the last couple of days has shown.
It was the third anniversary of our leaving the EU yesterday and the BBC and ITV both considered how well Brexit has gone. This is hysteria? Presumably the consideration of how Sunak has done in his first hundred days can be classed as anti Tory hysteria as well.

If anyone is hysterical about the EU it's you, watching your pet project unravel before your very eyes and being unable to cope with it. The rest of us are perfectly calm - we all knew Brexit was going to be bad for the country and now the country has worked this out for itself. No cause for rejoicing or gloating, just a long hard slog to repair the quite unnecessary damage. Ditto austerity

Grecian2K

Question for Tavares.

Wasn't Cnut an arrogant, overconfident and autocratic ruler in the early eleventh century whose overwheening sense of self-importance led them to believe that they, alone, could overcome even the inexorable tides rushing in to overwhelm them?

A bit like the dwindling number of right wing toadies and Brexit believers in this day and age

So, assuming that it was meant as an example of hopeless futility I'd say Art got it spot on!

Mr Jinx

Labour will want the Brexit debate to be very low key in the next GE campaign
Remind me how well that went for them last time, guffaw.

Strong possibility they'll tie themselves in knots over it again (a la Krankie and trans).

tavyred

If anyone is hysterical about the EU it's you, watching your pet project unravel before your very eyes and being unable to cope with it. The rest of us are perfectly calm - we all knew Brexit was going to be bad for the country and now the country has worked this out for itself. No cause for rejoicing or gloating, just a long hard slog to repair the quite unnecessary damage. Ditto austerity
Always problematic IMO to do as you have done and ascribe extreme emotions like hysteria to anyone’s posts on here Art. I’m not sure hysteria can be gleaned from the written word with any accuracy. I think you want me to be hysterical because it suits your narrative around Brexit to view Leavers like me getting all hot and bothered about it. Were you being hysterical when you posted about austerity and started the post with repeated use of the word “cnuts”? Maybe. 🤷‍♂️
On a macro economic level I’m still struggling to see the damage you and the hysterical remoaners are seeing. As evidenced by the IMF yesterday revising UK GDP growth last year to the highest in the G7.

tavyred

Remind me how well that went for them last time, guffaw.

Strong possibility they'll tie themselves in knots over it again (a la Krankie and trans).
I don’t think the likes of Labour Grandee and Brexit obsessive Alistair Campbell will allow them Jinx. 😁
Talking of the preposterous Ali Campbell, got to love him have a Twitter spat with R4’s Nick Robinson when he accused the Today program of ignoring the ‘Brexit effect’ re. the IMF’s dire prediction of U.K. gdp for this year.
Nick had to politely point out to him that the IMF themselves didn’t reference Brexit at all in their workings out. 🤣

Grecian2K

Oh dear Tavares.

It's almost inevitable that you tried to scrape of tiny little crumb of comfort from the bottom of your Tory pork barrel. 😥

Which ever way you look at it the IMF forecast does not make pretty reading does it?

tavyred

Oh dear Tavares.

It's almost inevitable that you tried to scrape of tiny little crumb of comfort from the bottom of your Tory pork barrel. 😥

Which ever way you look at it the IMF forecast does not make pretty reading does it?
Yes.
The prediction is not pretty.

Grecian2K

And while we're at it, what about that other current scourge: "Inflation"
Food prices ratcheting up by almost 15%...with the biggest rises in the so-called "budget sector"

"Utilities" still honking the prices up ... in the case of (nowadays vital) basic comms access thanks to clauses buried in the tiniest of small print allowing "CPI + x%" annual hikes. And overseen by "regulators" so in hock to the sectors they are supposed to be overseeing they say nary a thing.

Petrol & diesel, admittedly falling slightly recently, but nowhere near as fast as might be expected in the so called "global market". And gas and electric prices still soaring high. Despite the eye-watering profits being trousered in all those sectors.

The banks getting fat again - on rising interest (and mortgage) rates.

But who is to blame for "inflation". Not the Directors, CEOs and spivs & speculators in these price gouging industries.
Not the bankers, w@nkers and spivs in the finance sectors.
Not those clever financial wizards working hard to salt their hardly-earned gains from the prying eyes of the taxman?

No it's the hard working ordinary health workers, teachers, transport operatives etc and others in the public sector (who we were all urged to "clap for during Covid") who are today's villains. Not the fat-cat price gougers getting even more obese while the vast majority are increasing suffering.

Grecian2K

Yes.
The prediction is not pretty.
Indeed. 😱

But at least we still have the delights of yesterday's transfer deadline news to cling to! On that, at least, I hope we can agree. (y)

(I don't think I've ever seen TWoWS as bouncing as 23.01 hrs last night)