• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
To quote Animal Farm, Transwomen are women, but some are more women than others. The tangle that Sturgeon and others get into results from the fact that "Transwomen are Women" is a belief, an article of faith rather than something that can be argued about with factual evidence. There is a story in The Times today about the boycotting (needless to say) of a new video game called Hogwarts legacy. One of the actors who did the voiceovers has had to publicly repent saying "I believe wholeheartedly that trans women are women and trans men are men".

He believes and good for him. Other people believe differently. If I say to a Christian "I don't believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" I don't get accused of Chistiaphobia, or told that I am being hateful. But if I question whether trans women are women I am unlikely to get a job at a university and risk getting more infraction points on Exeweb :cool:
A bit cryptic all that. But does this put Art at odds with our very own Hermie over the whole thing?

DB9

I do realise this is from the Mail online but they took it from ITV News.

Mr Jinx

I do realise this is from the Mail online but they took it from ITV News.

Yep the same one I posted earlier (but from the Sun). Douglas Murray picks it apart most aptly...

tavyred

IMF says the UK will be the only G7 nation where its economy will shrink in 2023, By 0.6%, They say it will contract even more than Russia. I'm always wary of these predictions but it's made headline news and obviously doesn't look good.
The Brexit doom mongers have not taken this prediction well or perhaps more accurately they have seized upon it with relish. 🙄

Banksy

The Brexit doom mongers have not taken this prediction well or perhaps more accurately they have seized upon it with relish. 🙄
Relish or justification?
Just asking….

tavyred

Relish or justification?
Just asking….
In my opinion probably not, but you’d best be asking a Brexit doom monger, there’s a few on here.

arthur

A bit cryptic all that.
Is that shorthand for "couldn't be bothered to read it"? :cool:

I'll leave Hermann to say whether he thinks that "Trans women are women" is:
  • an indisputable fact that everyone should acknowledge
  • an opinion to be discussed (like Brexit or railway nationalisation)
  • a sincerely held belief

arthur

“The only way that the Brexit put forward by Boris Johnson was going to work was if there was a complete deregulation of the UK and we moved to a sort of Liz Truss utopia of a Singapore state and that was just never going to happen,” Hands, a former donor to the Conservative party, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“The British population was never going to accept a state in which the NHS would be demolished, where free education would be severely limited, where regulation with regard to employment would be thrown apart. It was just complete and total absolute lies.

He added: “The biggest issue about it, and you can take the Brexit bus as a good example, is the lies that Boris Johnson and the Conservative party told about the NHS. In fact what they did was throw the country and the NHS under the bus.”

This is the point Alistair Campbell keeps making - if a political party had lied so comprehensively to the electorate, we would never hear the end of it...

tavyred

Just your periodic reminder that Boris’s bus was a vote leave ‘stunt’ and the official position of Conservative and Unionist Party was to remain in the EU. 👍

Colesman Ballz

on here
Just your periodic reminder that Boris’s bus was a vote leave ‘stunt’ and the official position of Conservative and Unionist Party was to remain in the EU. 👍
And Cameron was a Saint and didn't pull any ? Getting Carney to perjure himself and the BoE with dire economic forecasts springs readily to find. There are too many "Donald Trumps" crying foul and demanding a recount ! Get over yourselves. Lol !