• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, He was a "Victim" of his own character, No one else, He had an 80 seat majority win behind him, To me if he wasn't such a liar, charlatan etc he'd been able to ride any storm but he couldn't help himself. As for Ms Truss's Government, To be really pendantic this is not what people voted for (These new policies) in 2019. Also in two years time there will be a GE, Too soon for us mere mortals to reap any benefit of this "Fiscal Friday" Bankers Bonus, Top rate tax payers winning giveaway, Saying that giving these people, Who are and have done very nicely out of this Government are going to Trickle down their wealth to help others, It hasn't happened before, So why do people think it will now?

As a side note, This past month i have earnt £1300 Gross in wages, How will this "Wonderful Giveaway" really help me or how much would i be better off by? Genuine Question.
Prob about 15/20 a month, which won't even pay the increase in your heating bill this winter.

Rosencrantz

No, He was a "Victim" of his own character, No one else, He had an 80 seat majority win behind him, To me if he wasn't such a liar, charlatan etc he'd been able to ride any storm but he couldn't help himself. As for Ms Truss's Government, To be really pendantic this is not what people voted for (These new policies) in 2019. Also in two years time there will be a GE, Too soon for us mere mortals to reap any benefit of this "Fiscal Friday" Bankers Bonus, Top rate tax payers winning giveaway, Saying that giving these people, Who are and have done very nicely out of this Government are going to Trickle down their wealth to help others, It hasn't happened before, So why do people think it will now?

As a side note, This past month i have earnt £1300 Gross in wages, How will this "Wonderful Giveaway" really help me or how much would i be better off by? Genuine Question.
Based on £1300 per month leading to £15600 per annum, with the cut to the basic rate of tax and NI, you will be better off to the tune of approx £5.60 per month. Go spend 😉

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Best budget since 1985 according to one N Farage (and, presumably Mr Jinx). A budget that pleases all the wrong people.....
The iron law of budgets is that the one that is praised on the day tends to be discredited after 6 months and the one that is rubbished on the day is seen as a good one.

This one to me has the hallmarks of the Maudling 1963 and Barber 1972 “dash for growth” budgets that simply fuelled inflation.

Will Rachel Reeves and Sir Keith be the ones to introduce a Roy Jenkins 1968 type budget that returns the public finances to surplus ?

DB9

Based on £1300 per month leading to £15600 per annum, with the cut to the basic rate of tax and NI, you will be better off to the tune of approx £5.60 per month. Go spend 😉
Thanks and you AU too, Even though this was a low month for me (Bung £200 pm more on average) this is what a big % of people get in wages, The Min wage or just above rate won't feel any better off, In fact with prices going up it'll probably be a negative, IMO to get people to vote for you, You have to make them feel good and to me this "Fiscal Friday" doesn't do that for the vast majority of people in the UK.

Also that little ditty telling those who are Part Time and on UC to look for better paid and longer hours was just so patronising at the very least, He totally forgetting that most people who are Part time and on UC aren't doing this for a "Lifestyle" they have many reasons why they can only do the hours they do but true to form, With the Tories when in doubt you have to blame the poor, Its what they do best.

Grecian2K

While you're right both of those things can, technically, be true, you're seeking to suggest Johnson was in some way hard done by.

Its akin to saying Jimmy Savile was the victim of a concerted campaign to out him as a predatory paedophile, or the villains on Scooby Doo blaming their downfall on 'those pesky kids'.
Aww. Poor old Jinxster. Even after being sold a dodgy motor by Boris Daley's dubious motor emporium which after a very short space of time (but conveniently just out of the warranty period) has thrown it's CON rods through the cylinder head he is still tempted by the even more expensive, and even more suspect, models on offer at Lizzie's Limos. (Credit available only to the mega-rich at eye watering interest rates)
It can only be Boris's Minder, Tavy-Terry, who can be persuading him.

Mr Jinx

Not strictly true about taking less than 30% - as NIC on earnings above 50k or so is only paid at 2% (at the rates it's being reverted to) - so tax and NIC would be 62% in total.

Also possible to bung some cash into a personal pension to bring yourself below the £100k limit if you do find yourself doing some extra work. It just needs to be managed.

Ultimately our tax system is ridiculously over the top complex and as a result the person on the street doesn't really have a clue how it all works - so easy to use smoke and mirrors of a headline grabbing reduction while making changes elsewhere.

Good luck finding sympathy about this as a £100k-plus earner by the way...
Yes, a lot of time was spent trying to find the world's smallest violin. And yes there are ways around it, but the unititated (like me at the time) just get stung. That said, with IR35 repealed, it's happy days again chez nous.

Rosencrantz

Thanks and you AU too, Even though this was a low month for me (Bung £200 pm more on average) this is what a big % of people get in wages, The Min wage or just above rate won't feel any better off, In fact with prices going up it'll probably be a negative, IMO to get people to vote for you, You have to make them feel good and to me this "Fiscal Friday" doesn't do that for the vast majority of people in the UK.

Also that little ditty telling those who are Part Time and on UC to look for better paid and longer hours was just so patronising at the very least, He totally forgetting that most people who are Part time and on UC aren't doing this for a "Lifestyle" they have many reasons why they can only do the hours they do but true to form, With the Tories when in doubt you have to blame the poor, Its what they do best.
I worked out I would be having around £13 per month more but that wouldn't see the light of day with inflation. AU is right in that the freeze on the personal allowance is a major factor for the lower earning.

Mr Jinx

IR35 lives on Jinxy

It is just the ludicrously complicated and draconian 2017 and 2021 rules that will be repealed. These rules were interpreted by payers on the basis that IR35 applied irrespective of the facts.

What is more the government itself deliberately flouted its own rules by letting certain contractors stay outside IR35 when it led to work being refused in certain sectors. I think GCHQ contractors were given a free pass.

Onus back on the intermediary now to determine status with the undermanned plodders at HMRC unable to force compliance.
Oh sure, it lives on, but the onus is taken away from companies and back onto the contractors. Therefore Outside IR35 contracts will come creeping back in thankfully.

The whole thing was a farce. When asked what my day rate is I say x hundred outside, x hundred plus 100 inside. The extra 100 to cover income tax, ni and all that ballax. A total nonsense, benefitting no one apart from a whole slew of dodgy umbrella companies.

Mr Jinx

I don't think it can work in two years.
I fear you may be right, especially since most of it doesn't take effect until April.

Mr Jinx

I nearly spurted out my coffee reading this, You were his biggest fan on here, Saying he was a "victim" of all the nasty people wanting rid of him, Yet now Truss is "Quite refreshing after Johnson" 🤷‍♂️
I was a huge fan too, but ended up somewhat disappointed, especially after the NI hike and Covid wobbliness.