• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
There will also be a tax cut to the basic rate (from 20% to 19%). Did you miss that? On top of the 1.5% NI reduction.

I'm ready with the list of charities if you want it.
Dude, you're playing like 2.5% of squat = 5% of shit loads

...And then you'll tell DB and Hermann that they're both in for themselves :ROFLMAO: 😆 :ROFLMAO:

lamrobhero

Paul Johnson Institute of Fiscal Studies:
£45 billion of tax cuts. This is biggest tax cutting event since 1972. Barber's "dash for growth" then ended in disaster. That Budget is now known as the worst of modern times. Genuinely, I hope this one works very much better.

The Tories taking the country back to the 1970s - you know it makes sense.

The Economst take on it was to compare it with early 1980s Reaganomics - the distinction that it makes is that the US dollar was a reserve currency so rising interest rates boosted the dollar which helped in the inflation fight - not going to happen for the UK.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
It Kami-Kwasi economics!

🙂
And I wonder how long the "great unwashed" will take, as their health care provision is steadily pared away, to wake up and smell the Coffey"?

Mr Jinx

Dude, you're playing like 2.5% of squat = 5% of shit loads
Can you explain that a bit better. Don't quite understand.

Mr Jinx

The Tories taking the country back to the 1970s - you know it makes sense.

The Economst take on it was to compare it with early 1980s Reaganomics - the distinction that it makes is that the US dollar was a reserve currency so rising interest rates boosted the dollar which helped in the inflation fight - not going to happen for the UK.
The 70's where Labour had the top rate at 80%? That really worked didn't it!

It's much more like Reganomics and the mid eighties.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Can you explain that a bit better. Don't quite understand.
Convenient.

Mr Jinx

Convenient.
I'm not too good with riddles I'm afraid.

That's why I need Spoonz to explain Biden's witterings.

angelic upstart

The 70's where Labour had the top rate at 80%? That really worked didn't it!

It's much more like Reganomics and the mid eighties.
The funny thing about taxation has largely gone down in terms of income tax, whereas all the regressive taxes have got much larger. Reality tells us the World has changed massively since the 80's and ideology of any kind is largely a waste of time and will almost certainly not work.

Mr Jinx

It's not a real tax cut!
And your workings aren't real workings in that they appear incorrect. Let's start with this line:

"Mr AU earns £45,570. So Mr AU pays 6.6k in tax and 4,372.50 in NI (assuming Mr AU doesn't have salary sacrifice, or a pension) he will gain £66 a year in tax and £65.58 in NI this year from the tax cut. A total of lets round up to £132 a year."

By my calculations he will gain an extra £330 in tax, not £66. I think you might have got the NI wrong too (and therefore obviously the total which would be significantly more).

Can someone else sanity check? I'm not 100% sure though as UK income tax is an exercise in smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

And your workings aren't real workings in that they appear incorrect. Let's start with this line:

"Mr AU earns £45,570. So Mr AU pays 6.6k in tax and 4,372.50 in NI (assuming Mr AU doesn't have salary sacrifice, or a pension) he will gain £66 a year in tax and £65.58 in NI this year from the tax cut. A total of lets round up to £132 a year."

By my calculations he will gain an extra £330 in tax, not £66. I think you might have got the NI wrong too (and therefore obviously the total which would be significantly more).

Can someone else sanity check? I'm not 100% sure as UK income tax is an exercise in smoke and mirrors.
You know what you might be right, I did 1% of 6.6k not 19% or 20% of the actual taxed amount. Same with NI.

My point stands, it'll make little difference whilst personal allowance remains at 12570