• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Dipping back in with an update since last week.

So I was wrong with my prediction that it would be Kwasi joining our association for our soiree last Friday. Instead we had Paul Scully - a very nice guy (I'd been in a Zoom call prior to the London Mayor election that he also took part in so had in theory "met" him before).

Sadly the timings for Rishi's visit this week will rule me out of going - I had hoped to be able to do some POETS to get along but he's visiting very early in the afternoon so can't really blag a full half day out.

I'm still somewhat on the fence around who I will be voting for, and will still be waiting until after I've attended the London hustings on the 31st before casting my vote. There are things I like and dislike about each candidate, it'll be a case of which likes/dislikes outweigh the others.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are you really a paid up member of the Conservative party Tavy ?

Given that you voted Labour under Corbyn’s leadership in 2017 that would be quite a jump
Yep, tis true.
I guess I’m part of Jase’s oft quoted ‘cult of Boris’ sect. 😀
I joined back in February as I could see (who couldn’t!) that beautiful Boris’s days were numbered and I wanted a vote on who comes afterwards.
As before the parliamentary party has chosen a duffer (or two!) hence my quandary on who to vote for.
The only solace I have, is that whoever gets the top job is still odds on IMO to beat Sir Keith at the next GE.

DB9

So I was wrong with my prediction that it would be Kwasi joining our association for our soiree last Friday. Instead we had Paul Scully - a very nice guy (I'd been in a Zoom call prior to the London Mayor election that he also took part in so had in theory "met" him before).

Sadly the timings for Rishi's visit this week will rule me out of going - I had hoped to be able to do some POETS to get along but he's visiting very early in the afternoon so can't really blag a full half day out.

I'm still somewhat on the fence around who I will be voting for, and will still be waiting until after I've attended the London hustings on the 31st before casting my vote. There are things I like and dislike about each candidate, it'll be a case of which likes/dislikes outweigh the others.
Be nice to think the rest of the membership thinks long and hard like you are Jason and not fall into line behind the Daily Express's front page, God that is awful, The way it looks, It looks like she's leading the people across the desert.

Alistair20000

Yep, tis true.
I joined back in February as I could see (who couldn’t!) that beautiful Boris’s days were numbered and I wanted a vote on who comes afterwards.
As before the parliamentary party has chosen a duffer (or two!) hence my quandary on who to vote for.
The only solace I have, is that whoever gets the top job is still odds on IMO to beat Sir Keith at the next GE.
Thanks for the clarification.

If you stay in long enough you might get Kemi.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, tis true.
So Truss is set to abandon levelling up and the social care levy, both of which you've been a very vocal supporter of, but you'd still want her to win a GE?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Or maybe not - we're now working from home tomorrow and Friday due to it being a bit hot outside, so I should be able to nip out for an hour or two.

tavyred

So Truss is set to abandon levelling up and the social care levy, both of which you've been a very vocal supporter of, but you'd still want her to win a GE?
There’s a myriad of reasons why I want the next government to be Tory and not Labour, so that being the case I have to be pragmatic even if individual policies (or changes to policy) are not to my liking. As an example there are probably thousands of remain Labour voters who are still minded to vote Labour even though SKS says Brexit is a settled issue. 😉
That said, has Truss officially abandoned the levelling up agenda and BJ’s social care plans?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
There’s a myriad of reasons why I want the next government to be Tory and not Labour, so that being the case I have to be pragmatic even if individual policies (or changes to policy) are not to my liking. As an example there are probably thousands of remain Labour voters who are still minded to vote Labour even though SKS says Brexit is a settled issue. 😉
That said, has Truss officially abandoned the levelling up agenda and BJ’s social care plans?
She's reversing the social care tax rise, so whatever she's planning there is no money to pay for it. Her hastily abandoned civil service plans demonstrate that levelling up is not a priority anymore (if indeed it ever actually was).

angelic upstart

Hi AU. 👍
My ballot paper is currently lying luntouched on the kitchen table, the final two are probably my personal worst nightmare.
As a former prison officer I’m haunted by Dizzy Lizzy’s tenure as Justice Sec, where to be quite frank she proved to be absolutely dreadful, and Sunak is probably the fella who stabbed BJ in the back and seems to be the candidate of choice of most of the Tory MP’s I have no time for.
I’ll let you know if and when I make a choice.
NB.
Badenoch and Gove were my dream team.
Sunak looks and acts too desperate but he's intelligent. Liz is not a good leader and doesn't appear very competent. I said early on the Conservatives would vote for more of the same so Liz it is. But I don't think it will go well for her.

Gove did a decent job not getting involved this time around.

tavyred

She's reversing the social care tax rise, so whatever she's planning there is no money to pay for it. Her hastily abandoned civil service plans demonstrate that levelling up is not a priority anymore (if indeed it ever actually was).
So no official reversal of either policy?
The civil service regional pay feck up was rather typical of Truss in my experience, tin-eared and totally avoidable.