• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

You do get that most of the outrage from opposition politicians is confected for political advantage? (Nothing wrong with that BTW)
In an adversarial chamber like the Commons it would’ve been the job of Tory MP’s to give BJ softball questions to alleviate the heat he was getting from opposition MP’s.
All part of the game. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe they need to change the rules sometimes.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We already had a referendum on PR under Cameron & PR lost convincingly.
It wasn't PR, it was AV. That referendum was a stitchup.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
We already had a referendum on PR under Cameron & PR lost convincingly.
I think the only way PR gets in is if a party gets elected with it in their manifesto. Although, that said I don’t know if a major constitutional change like that would require a referendum for it come in.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed.
Labour would’ve done some polling on it, but for those for whom the thought of a perennial Tory government is a horrible thought why wouldn’t you embrace it and coalesce around a party offering it in their manifesto?
The only problem of course is that it probably provokes an equal reaction from those voters for whom the thought of a permanent liberal coalition perhaps involving separatists and the greens would be too much to stomach.
Choices, choices eh? 😉
Maybe, but we'll never know. More people voted for left wing than right wing parties in 2019 so who knows what would happen?

Mr Jinx

It wasn't PR, it was AV. That referendum was a stitchup.
Yes, you are right. But even it was full PR vs Status Quo, it still would've lost badly.

The Tories will never go for PR and so Ed Milliband blew the once in a lifetime chance big time.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, you are right. But even it was full PR vs Status Quo, it still would've lost badly.

The Tories will never go for PR and so Ed Milliband blew the once in a lifetime chance big time.
Maybe. But things have changed since then. Anyone with half a brain can see it's now unlikely anyone except the Conservatives can ever form a government. 56% didn't vote for them last time, they might fancy having their voices heard, even as a junior partner.

Mr Jinx

Lowest Tory polling numbers since 2013 apparently. Two years later of course CMD bagged himself a surprise majority.
You flag up the almighty challenge for Labour to get a majority without Scotland. Perhaps it’s time Labour grasped the PR nettle and accepted it will never govern without it.
Yes, but things that also need to be considered is that much of it is down to the current backlash. Even the right wing press are joining in the current pile-on.

If a GE was called next month, do you think the Mail (and others) wouldn't wake up, change tack, suddenly back Boris and the Tories again and begin to attack Labour with both barrels once more?

This morning, most importantly, I see all but one of the current cabinet are backing Boris. A lot of attention is being given to the few outliers (like head of Tories in Scotland) that are saying he should resign. They are very few in numbers (currently). A lot of them have probably wrestled with it, but they know what side their bread is buttered.

I think he'll therefore survive and it'll blow over in time (not fully I grant you), but something else will come along soon and that'll be the new brouhaha. That said, hopefully Boris has woken up and smelt some coffee. I'll be interested to see what he does about the cost of living crisis.

Mr Jinx

Maybe. But things have changed since then.
Yes they have. Myself, being a Farage fan, would love to see PR in effect.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes they have. Myself, being a Farage fan, would love to see PR in effect.
Indeed. It brings everyone together in harmony.

tavyred

Yes, but things that also need to be considered is that much of it is down to the current backlash. Even the right wing press are joining in the current pile-on.

If a GE was called next month, do you think the Mail (and others) wouldn't wake up, change tack, suddenly back Boris and the Tories again and begin to attack Labour with both barrels once more?

This morning, most importantly, I see all but one of the current cabinet are backing Boris. A lot of attention is being given to the few outliers (like head of Tories in Scotland) that are saying he should resign. They are very few in numbers (currently). A lot of them have probably wrestled with it, but they know what side their bread is buttered.

I think he'll therefore survive and it'll blow over in time (not fully I grant you), but something else will come along soon and that'll be the new brouhaha. That said, hopefully Boris has woken up and smelt some coffee. I'll be interested to see what he does about the cost of living crisis.
I’m inclined to agree, the only problem with that is if we see a continuance of the slow and steady drip feed to the MSM of negative stories. The rumour is Cummings has plenty more to come. There is the law of ever diminishing returns I suppose, but if he is constantly defending himself against ‘sleaze’ there comes a point when he has to go for the sake of a well functioning government.