• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are massive labour shortages and huge economic and societal issues as the result of our aging population.

We need increased immigration to tackle these issues.

The Tories are prioritising fear of immigration over sound economic management.
Alternatively, we need people who are already here to do these jobs. 1.48 million unemployed on recent figures

angelic upstart

Alternatively, we need people who are already here to do these jobs. 1.48 million unemployed on recent figures
Just out of interest, does anyone recall how the govt (I think it was Cameron) changed the figures to make the numbers look lower in some way. If you do recall, do you recall what the changes were?

angelic upstart

This is in many ways the crux of the matter, solve this issue even by 25% and the nation is in a far better state overall.

Oldsmobile-88

Just out of interest, does anyone recall how the govt (I think it was Cameron) changed the figures to make the numbers look lower in some way. If you do recall, do you recall what the changes were?
The ones claiming benefits...You can be unemployed but if you have over a certain threshold of savings(£16k iirc)you can’t claim unemployment benefit.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
No what I am saying is Labour has just made itself even more unelectable.
What, by saying refugees are welcome?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder, do the benefits slackers take more from the system than the tax dodgers/avoiders keep out.

Which is worse?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I wonder, do the benefits slackers take more from the system than the tax dodgers/avoiders keep out.

Which is worse?
Oh, definitely the tax dodgers / avoiders without a doubt.
I remember Vodafone being let off a £6 billion pound tax bill. A figure, coincidentally, the same as what was then 'needed' to be found through 'savings' in disability benefits (aka forcing seriously ill people out of the system causing immense harm, injury, and in some cases, death).

Mr Jinx

What, by saying refugees are welcome?
Yep. All the Tories have to do is dredge up that, Thornberry's tweet, David Lammy and a few other similar gems, and it'll be enough for vast swathes to continue to avoid Labour like the plague, especially up North.

angelic upstart

The ones claiming benefits...You can be unemployed but if you have over a certain threshold of savings(£16k iirc)you can’t claim unemployment benefit.
It was something to do with how the figures were counted, it changed in some way so the figures look lower. So arguably if there's 1.4 million unemployed, there's actually a far higher number, that were once included, but no longer are. But I don't remember what changed!

Is it really only 16k and you can't claim? Scandalously low!

Oldsmobile-88

Is it really only 16k and you can't claim? Scandalously low!
I stand to be corrected but I think that is the figure I’ve seen quoted.