Politics Today

Banksy

Well-known Exeweb poster
While Johnson is getting rightly bolloxed over this party at No10, Its not only him in trouble, Finnish PM is in hot water after going to a nightclub when she got "Pinged" for being in close contact with her FM who tested positive. Read the story and did think to myself "Oh i say" ;) :)

Not a patch on Theresa May imo.

• Haha
Reactions: DB9
I'd agree but we don't seem to live in "Normal" Political times.
I think if he has proven to have lied, he will not be able to command the confidence of the Party or the Country. Everytime he makes a statement it will not be credible and the opposition will tear his argument to shreds.

The Tories will be quick to ditch a 'damaged goods' leader.

This is a fundamental political reality and i would argue applies even in these strange days.

If in the short term if he can keep denying and no evidence emerges he might be okay.

Longer term the cumulative effect of all the negative stories and scandal will cause damage, how much remains to be seen...

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think if he has proven to have lied, he will not be able to command the confidence of the Party or the Country. Everytime he makes a statement it will not be credible and the opposition will tear his argument to shreds.

The Tories will be quick to ditch a 'damaged goods' leader.

This is a fundamental political reality and i would argue applies even in these strange days.

If in the short term if he can keep denying and no evidence emerges he might be okay.

Longer term the cumulative effect of all the negative stories and scandal will cause damage, how much remains to be seen...
The only reason they'd get rid is if he becomes a liability and they're in danger of not winning power while he's leader, That is what the Tories do best. He has never had the confidence of the "Country" as a whole simply because 60%ish of voters didn't vote for him or the Tories, Our FPTP and multi party system means a party can win an election with say betweem 35%-40% of the vote.

As I've said this constant drip, drip of incompetence and lies will i think turn into a bit more if it keeps happening and tbh it has been an horrendous time for the Tories for the past few months with various screw ups and denials/lies etc, Much as he likes to think that his Tory party is a "New" Tory party the fact is they've been in power for over a decade and have got complacent and arrogant, That is very dangerous for them i believe, It happened to the Tories in 1997 and Labour in 2010.

For me Johnson has shown lately that he is a liar and incompetent person unfit for office (IMHO) and has surrounded himself by a bunch of wet, self centred bunch in the cabinet that they all sing from the same lying hymn sheet and will do anything to stay in their jobs, Even if it costs lives and the country. He and the rest of them will go eventually, Gord knows the mess they'll leave behind but they will go and the sooner the better IMHO.

angelic upstart

I've been whining on for years that he's a lying, duplicitous fool with no plan. I also once wrote on this thread that Starmer could simply wait for him to fall on his own sword. Fwiw, I think Starmer would be a terrible leader too.

Oldsmobile-88

The quickly arranged national covid updated seems to have been arranged with indecent haste after the revelations in the past 24 hours.
Its been reported that only 3 members of the Cabinet supported a move to that level only a couple of days ago.

The graphs shown at the briefing were flat on hospitalisations & deaths.The scare graph of course were the new O strain of Covid,which the two esteemed SAGE members both said they did not know if it was more deadly,just more transmissible.
No way would BJ have signed off on plan B before the recent embarrassments.
A handy distraction ?

Alistair20000

I've been whining on for years that he's a lying, duplicitous fool with no plan. I also once wrote on this thread that Starmer could simply wait for him to fall on his own sword. Fwiw, I think Starmer would be a terrible leader too.
I am at the point with Bunter where I think anyone would be a better option.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
The quickly arranged national covid updated seems to have been arranged with indecent haste after the revelations in the past 24 hours.
Its been reported that only 3 members of the Cabinet supported a move to that level only a couple of days ago.

The graphs shown at the briefing were flat on hospitalisations & deaths.The scare graph of course were the new O strain of Covid,which the two esteemed SAGE members both said they did not know if it was more deadly,just more transmissible.
No way would BJ have signed off on plan B before the recent embarrassments.
A handy distraction ?
A big call you’re making there.
I can’t see today’s announcements ever being made without the approval of Messrs Whitty and Vallance.

Oldsmobile-88

I can’t see today’s announcements ever being made without the approval of Messrs Whitty and Vallance.
Whitty & Vallance would have probably wanted play B a few weeks ago.Similar to what the devolved nations have done.

BJ has consistently mentioned getting the balance right between economics & health.
The figures were worse 6 weeks ago iirc,hence my cynicism.

DB9

Whilst the "Partygate" with Johnson and Co has left me fuming on Covid i think its just about right, We can't not do anything we have been able to do before, A small extention of mask wearing is fair enough, WFH a good idea in the main but only a small % of the workforce can do this and its a bit of a kick for those that rely on office people for their income, also it could mean all those arguments about WFH being made redundant because businesses can't work on the fact that every winter we'll be told to WFH, They'll think sod it might as well do it full time then if they can.

Full lockdown wont happen unless dire emergency because you can't tell people to stay at home and not make sure they can finacnially, We won't get another furlough scheme. As for Whitty and Valance, I think they'll be thinking for a change we're not waiting till the last minute again but i think in future SAGE needs to be trimmed down to a level where all are singing from the same sheet and not wanting 15 mins of fame by talking on GMB and the like.

Alistair20000

Whitty & Vallance would have probably wanted play B a few weeks ago.Similar to what the devolved nations have done.

BJ has consistently mentioned getting the balance right between economics & health.
The figures were worse 6 weeks ago iirc,hence my cynicism.
Nail on head