• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was the sovereignty and European courts rubbish that muddied the waters, it was always about immigration borne out by your poll. Anyhow, the EU provides for controlled immigration as the 27 member states would testify, the fact the UK goverrnment chose to ignore those controls must have been for a reason, one we can only speculate on.
There was no reasonable way of controlling ‘freedom of movement’ Elgy, as we have discussed many times.

Last edited:

elginCity

There was no reasonable way of controlling ‘freedom of movement’ Elgy, as we have discussed many times.
Well Tav, do you really not think the available EU transition limitation of Eastern Europeans was a very reasonable way of controlling free movement ? 25 other countries thought so.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the new shadow Home Secretary:

View attachment 7445

#LabourFail
Sorry Jinxy. Are you saying that refugees are not welcome in your version of the UK?

I thought your ilk had an issue with economic migrants of low skill, but now it seems it's anyone. 🤷‍♂️

tavyred

Well Tav, do you really not think the available EU transition limitation of Eastern Europeans was a very reasonable way of controlling free movement ? 25 other countries thought so.

Absolutely.
However the word ‘transition’ would suggest it was only ever a temporary stay of execution.
Just to explain, I don’t particularly blame the EU for its FOM stipulation, their club their rules. 🤷‍♂️
I do think they could’ve been a bit more flexible when Cameron warned them of the consequences, but the way we run our no previous contributions in-work benefits system was always going to be a huge draw for the new EU citizens coming from the accession countries of Eastern Europe.
Brexit was a perfect storm of factors.

angelic upstart

I do think they could’ve been a bit more flexible when Cameron warned them of the consequences, but the way we run our no previous contributions in-work benefits system was always going to be a huge draw for the new EU citizens coming from the accession countries of Eastern Europe.
Brexit was a perfect storm of factors.
You do realise that the vast majority of EU citizens came to the UK to work, not to sit on their arses all day. Mainly because our benefits system is extremely low compared to most of the EU. There's a nice 30/40% of Brits sat doing no work, on our taxes and they rarely get mentioned. That figure is rising as pays to be into petty crime these days. There's no chance of conviction, and no comeback.

tavyred

You do realise that the vast majority of EU citizens came to the UK to work, not to sit on their arses all day. Mainly because our benefits system is extremely low compared to most of the EU. There's a nice 30/40% of Brits sat doing no work, on our taxes and they rarely get mentioned. That figure is rising as pays to be into petty crime these days. There's no chance of conviction, and no comeback.
Read my post properly AU.
I said “in-work benefits”. 👍

angelic upstart

Read my post properly AU.
I said “in-work benefits”. 👍
Lol I need new readers!

Mr Jinx

Sorry Jinxy. Are you saying that refugees are not welcome in your version of the UK?
No what I am saying is Labour has just made itself even more unelectable.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

There are massive labour shortages and huge economic and societal issues as the result of our aging population.

We need increased immigration to tackle these issues.

The Tories are prioritising fear of immigration over sound economic management.

Grecian2K

Lol I need new readers!
Not really. There are plenty of us here already who enjoy your contributions. ;)