• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes but it’s so much easier to do the localised politicking, looks like they are doing something, plays to the audiences
Exactly, why do something like actually solve difficult problems when you don't have to in order to get elected again. Just for clarity, that goes for Boris, Macron and any other politicians. Empathy can go for a walk.

tavyred

Where was I "withering" about Boris? I have clearly stated that both sides (and ultimately others) hold responsibility to solve this inhumane problem. Both sides had indulged in politicking. You react to any viewpoint that dares critique the Govt and St Bozza with much gnashing whilst ignoring the main points being made.
Bizarrely you still seem to be reluctant to condemn the French for allowing a situation to occur where people have died Rosey.
I’m not so sure if you’d be so reticent if you’re own Government had been so complacent with these people’s lives.

tavyred

Interesting takeaway from the dozen or so local council by-elections this week I thought. I’m think I’m right in saying that the Tories increased their vote share in every single seat contested and even gained two seats from a supposedly resurgent Labour Party. 🤷‍♂️

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Tavy being his usual revisionist, one eyed, blinkered self.

You're only scathing of the French Tavy. I've seen no reflection on your behalf. Just the usual hatred for anything that isn't English. Just accusations that I, and others, are only critical if HMG, which is simply not true.

Everyone else, including myself, has said both sides need to accept responsibility, not only for the lives lost, but for finding solutions too.

But let's not let common sense get in the way of a bit frenchy bashing.

angelic upstart

Interesting takeaway from the dozen or so local council by-elections this week I thought. I’m think I’m right in saying that the Tories increased their vote share in every single seat contested and even gained two seats from a supposedly resurgent Labour Party. 🤷‍♂️
I don't recall the results. However, worth noting a fair few of the comparisons were from 2018 prior to labour vote tanking, so arguably, labour didn't do badly, despite the obvious loss of votes. If that makes sense.

That's not me clutching at straws, just something I noticed. The Conservatives holding up mostly very well.

crocks

So disillusioned with politics that if there was a General Election tomorrow, or anytime soon for that matter, for the first time in my life, I wouldn't bother voting.

tavyred

Spanks.
A thoroughly deserved French bashing in this case unfortunately.
You can’t as the French have done, refuse tangible help (manpower and maritime assets) from an interested party like the UK, take millions in U.K. taxpayers cash as aid, look the other way when the migrants enter the water and then come to the irrational conclusion that the U.K. is anyway to blame for those men, women and children who drowned the other day.

Rosencrantz

Bizarrely you still seem to be reluctant to condemn the French for allowing a situation to occur where people have died Rosey.
I’m not so sure if you’d be so reticent if you’re own Government had been so complacent with these people’s lives.
Believe whatever you want that makes you comfortable in your own world Taves by projecting your own prejudice to reject (and not engage in) opinions you do not hold yourself. What happened this week holds condemnation for the French, the UK and others. Whilst this tragedy has its locality, it is a problem that is Europe (and world) wide.

What is bizarre is that you seemingly cannot see that the UK do have a responsibility for people who want to claim asylum and refugee status in the UK. This tragedy should never have happened, there should not be numerous boat crossing the channel because no person should have to risk their lives any more than necessary to escape from war torn countries and oppressive regimes that threaten their lives and their basic human rights of a safe and peaceful life.

This is everyone's problem including the UK. Are we really doing enough to stop these people desperate enough to risk their own and their families lives to gain a basic human right? Is what we are doing now working or do we have to change policy and come up with a new system of dealing with asylum seekers in a safer way? These things cannot be done unilaterally and need all countries to come together and rethink the situation from (and I know I am repeating myself) a humanitarian viewpoint and not a political one.

tavyred

Sorry Rosey, airy fairy discussions about how we are all too blame, does not absolve France of its direct responsibility to prevent dangerous incursions into busy shipping lanes from its own shores.
I think we’ve gone about as far as we can with this discussion. 👍

Rosencrantz

Sorry Rosey, airy fairy discussions about how we are all too blame, does not absolve France of its direct responsibility to prevent dangerous incursions into busy shipping lanes from its own shores.
I think we’ve gone about as far as we can with this discussion. 👍
Good. It is very tedious focusing only on the very shortsighted blame game you seem to be continuing without addressing the wider problems of the situation and how they can be solved. A return to WW2 levels of patroling both our coastlines would be the only solution in your world rather than addressing the problems with seeking asylum at source.