• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting developments coming out if Germany.

Three left of center parties (including Greens) take over power there from the conservatives in a coalition and one of the first things they are doing is legalising cannabis.
It's decriminalized anyway I think, so it'll bring a few quid in and they can get one step ahead of the parts of Europe that haven't decriminalized it yet and make a few quid too.
Big win-win for the Deutsch

tavyred

You make it sound like the French want to keep them. They don't want them on their shores and are turning a blind eye.
Just flagging up France’s obvious responsibility to sort this Jinxy, all other chat on the subject is just noise really.

Avening Posse

I think the French bashing is a bit unfair. They have much higher numbers of non EU asylum seekers that the UK. And they process and accept many more than the UK. They also have a sizeable proportion of the population who oppose it but accept big numbers regardless. And they do try and stop people crossing but it’s a big coastline and it’s 24/7. Not sure what people expect them to do more of ?

tavyred

There is simply no excuse for France allowing a situation where events like yesterday can happen. We forget also the at least 9 other immigrants who have drowned in the last few weeks.
This country wouldn’t allow this to happen, France shouldn’t either.

Grecian2K

This country wouldn’t allow this to happen,
Are you sure about that?

tavyred

The liberal media rather than holding the French to account are now instead agitating for the U.K. to just let them in.

angelic upstart

There is simply no excuse for France allowing a situation where events like yesterday can happen. We forget also the at least 9 other immigrants who have drowned in the last few weeks.
This country wouldn’t allow this to happen, France shouldn’t either.
How do the people get to France? I'd imagine it's through a different country. Maybe they just blame the country before them like we do, and that continues right the way back to the country of origin?

You say we wouldn't allow this to happen, may I ask, how is it possible to claim asylum in the UK without being in the UK?

tavyred

You say we wouldn't allow this to happen, may I ask, how is it possible to claim asylum in the UK without being in the UK?
I’m saying we wouldn’t allow numerous daily incursions into the English Channel from our shores.
We simply cannot help our geography as a country, if that means we get less asylum applications in comparison to others then so be it. I’d be interested to know how many asylum applications Japan gets every year.
The U.K. facilitates people applying for asylum in all sorts of ways, on the ground at refugee camps and inward flights for example, it simply can’t allow a situation to develop where (as you suggested) where we sift through applications in the country next door and more often than not let them in. The ones we reject will just head to coast and jump in the dingy’s anyway.
We’re ignoring the fact of course that the vast majority of these people are economic migrants and not at risk at all.

Last edited:

Avening Posse

I’m saying we wouldn’t allow numerous daily incursions into the English Channel from our shores.
We simply cannot help our geography as a country, if that means we get less asylum applications in comparison to others then so be it. I’d be interested to know how many asylum applications Japan gets every year.
The U.K. facilitates people applying for asylum in all sorts of ways, on the ground at refugee camps and inward flights for example, it simply can’t allow a situation to develop where (as you suggested) where we sift through applications in the country next door and more often than not let them in. The ones we reject will just head to coast and jump in the dingy’s anyway.
We’re ignoring the fact of course that the vast majority of these people are economic migrants and not at risk at all.
Worldpopulationreview.com gives accurate stats on refugees Tavy and includes Japan for 2021

tavyred

Worldpopulationreview.com gives accurate stats on refugees Tavy and includes Japan for 2021
.....and the numbers for Japan are?