• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's the British Library website for you:

Habeas Corpus is an Act of Parliament, still in force today, which ensures that no one can be imprisoned unlawfully. Literally translated, ‘habeas corpus’ means ‘you may have the body’ (if legal procedures are satisfied). This sounds like a strange phrase, but in medieval times it was the expression used to bring a prisoner into court. It later became used to fight against arbitrary detention by the authorities.

In 1215 Magna Carta stated that no one could be imprisoned unlawfully, and the first recorded use of this provision was in 1305, but Habeas Corpus as we know it today was not made law until 1679. Although the law is still in effect, Habeas Corpus has not been continually used since 1679. It was suspended in 1793 when there were concerns that the French Revolution might inspire rebellion in England. It was also suspended several times in the 20th century. Internment (detention without charge) was employed in World War I and II, and during many periods of the conflict in Northern Ireland in the later 20th century. Today, detention without charge is back on the political agenda in the debates surrounding anti-terror legislation.
I mean that literally says "Habeas Corpus as we know it today was not made law until 1679", reinforcing the original point re. Magna Carta.

Regardless, whoever wrote that hasn't done their research (though in fairness, whilst it says that the provision is in Magna Carta, it doesn't say that's where its origins lie). Much like a previous discussion in this thread re. the origins of the meringue, it's something that's been repeated so often it's commonly believed without question, even by academics who should know better. I could tell you all about translation theorists and Cicero on that front.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Habeas Corpus is an Act of Parliament
So, again, we don't live under the Magna Carta.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know all that G2K. Won’t stop me getting bleddy angry if it is true.
Seems pretty conclusive although, as per usual, there's a suggestion the PM was adhering to a special version of the rules no-one else was aware of:

Grecian2K

I really think that we need a Professor of History to adjudicate on this.

Does anyone know where we might be able to find one? 😉

DB9

Seems pretty conclusive although, as per usual, there's a suggestion the PM was adhering to a special version of the rules no-one else was aware of:
I presume the same special rules when him and Sunak didn't want to self isolate? This way was so "Secret" no one had ever heard of it before or since? 🤔🤔🙄🙄

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I presume the same special rules when him and Sunak didn't want to self isolate? This way was so "Secret" no one had ever heard of it before or since? 🤔🤔🙄🙄
It's Cummings all over again: "we did something that is allowed in a very broad interpretation of the rules, an interpretation that no normal person would derive, but we made the rules so we can pretend that was how they should have been interpreted all along".

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's Cummings all over again: "we did something that is allowed in a very broad interpretation of the rules, an interpretation that no normal person would derive, but we made the rules so we can pretend that was how they should have been interpreted all along".
Quite. Lots of us didn't see our closest family last Christmas but the PM and his wife had a pal to stay and we're supposed to meekly accept that.

tonykellowfan

The person staying was part of a childcare bubble which is permitted under the rules. We used this during lockdown as well as we have 2 young children.

tavyred

Anyone seen Angela Rayner? 🤷‍♂️
#benched

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone seen Angela Rayner? 🤷‍♂️
#benched
If anyone had it would be you, given the depth of your obsession with her