Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would you provide a link, please, DB ? Having googled what you claim, I can only find a Vote Leave Government 'Think Tank' opining it'll take 10 years, thanks.
Like you trying to Google this and can't find it but the report from the EU was in the Independent a while back when this was first mooted, I do think its down to the way the EU do things, IE very slowly, All nations have to agree and i'd imagine with someone like Spain there maybe a cause for concern if Scotland tried.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
This comment is off the Irony Richter Scale.

Stupid he says, ignoring the fact that Scotland would be able to re-enter the single market, unfettered access to 500 million potential customers.
We’ve had this discussion before, but Scotland leaving the U.K. would dwarf the ramifications of the U.K. leaving the EU.
It’s important we compare like with like, the U.K. is a proper political union 300 hundred years in the making, the EU is an increasingly fractious collection of nations who have aspirations of a closer political Union but it is proving difficult to keep some of its members signed up to that aspiration.
Interesting admission from Merkel yesterday I thought when she suggested to the Dutch, French and the Irish, who want the errant Poles ‘punished’, “we must learn the lessons of Brexit, Brexit could’ve been avoided”.
Merkel is probably freed up to say what she really thinks now, but it seems the European narrative of Brexit being a colossal act of a left harm may be changing now to how the hell did we let the U.K. go.
A change in language some of us said would happen, especially if Brexit is the benign change in emphasis for the U.K. it’s looking like it’s going to be.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
“Brexit could’ve been avoided”.
Merkel, the speaker of truths. In fact it could've easily been avoided. If only, Mütti, if only....

Too late now though....guffaw! Now she, or to be more accurate, her successor has got to stop the rest of the house of cards from falling down. Good luck with that!

Last edited:

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do wish the EU commission well in its dealings with Poland, they are spot on when they say the EU is nothing without its treaties.
Despite occasional talk of cake and eating it, the U.K. knew that ultimate truth and left the EU completely as a result.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lord Fields, Former Labour MP Frank Fields was due to debate assisted dying laws in the HOL but revealed he is dying himself and too ill to attend after spending time in a Hospice, He was known to be one of best backbench MP's when he was in the HOC, Briefly serving in Government when Labour was in power and resigned the whip under Corbyn and is a cross party Lord, I wish him well during this difficult time.