Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I had no idea about this! So this isn't the massive vote fraud that is made out to be? Simply a one off involving a party that isn't anywhere outside of East London?
The case highlighted holes in the election process if a individual was particularly unscrupulous rather than systemic fraud.

A bigger issue imo is postal voting abuse rather than identity fraud at voting booths.

Hermann

I had no idea about this! So this isn't the massive vote fraud that is made out to be? Simply a one off involving a party that isn't anywhere outside of East London?
There's bugger all electoral fraud and the bulk of the accusations relate to postal and proxy voting, so voter id at the polling station is addressing a problem that isn't there.

DB9

The same electoral register for general elections being used?
No massive fraud then? Pointless, I think we're lucky in this country we don't have fraud in any big form, We use a pencil and paper, Put a cross then into a box, its an old system that works, Individuals probably try but as I'm aware of there has been no widespread fraud in a GE, You (People in General) really want to start the fraud thing without evidence? that worked so well in the US

angelic upstart

The fraud thing is strange in the UK. Let's say they was a swing seat in Plymouth and one of the parties decided to do some sneaky underhand tactics at the voting booth. The idea of 5 or 10 people walking in, choosing a name and address, voting and then either surreptitiously wandering to a nearby polling booth and doing that and then starting again from scratch and no one noticing is fairly small.

I love a conspiracy, and I hate the way we have elections. But the system works fairly well. Just the paranoid looking for issues that aren't there.

Hermann

The fraud thing is strange in the UK. Let's say they was a swing seat in Plymouth and one of the parties decided to do some sneaky underhand tactics at the voting booth. The idea of 5 or 10 people walking in, choosing a name and address, voting and then either surreptitiously wandering to a nearby polling booth and doing that and then starting again from scratch and no one noticing is fairly small.

I love a conspiracy, and I hate the way we have elections. But the system works fairly well. Just the paranoid looking for issues that aren't there.
It's virtually impossible to swing an election using in-person fraud, unless there is only a couple of votes in it. You'd have to have a pretty good idea of how many votes was needed to win, or you risk flipping too many and making it look suspicious. Then you'd have to somehow find people that you were sure weren't going to vote. It would be a massive operation just to steal one seat, let alone a whole election.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ways things are going, with the break-up of the UK the individual nations may well reapply to re-join the EU.
Its their choice of course, but they’d be incredibly stupid if they did. Scotland erecting a hard border with a nation that buys 60% of its stuff would be hilarious.

elginCity

Its their choice of course, but they’d be incredibly stupid if they did. Scotland erecting a hard border with a nation that buys 60% of its stuff would be hilarious.
This comment is off the Irony Richter Scale.

Stupid he says, ignoring the fact that Scotland would be able to re-enter the single market, unfettered access to 500 million potential customers.

DB9

This comment is off the Irony Richter Scale.

Stupid he says, ignoring the fact that Scotland would be able to re-enter the single market, unfettered access to 500 million potential customers.
It will be a 10 year process for Scotland to rejoin the EU Elgy, That's from the EU themselves, 10 years out on their own would be be tough I think.

elginCity

It will be a 10 year process for Scotland to rejoin the EU Elgy, That's from the EU themselves, 10 years out on their own would be be tough I think.
Would you provide a link, please, DB ? Having googled what you claim, I can only find a Vote Leave Government 'Think Tank' opining it'll take 10 years, thanks.