• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
It'll be interesting to see if the politics of faith delivers another 15% increase in vote share for the Tories in 2 years, as it did the previous 2 years in 'getting it done'. Labour would be history in Leicester East.....faith in pledges to 'build back better', 'high wage economy' and 'levelling-up'. Johnson, once he returns from Marbella, will likely sprinkle some star dust and a few civil servants throughout the east Midlands as he heads towards the A1 and Hartlepool in his big red bus.

Alistair20000

It'll be interesting to see if the politics of faith delivers another 15% increase in vote share for the Tories in 2 years, as it did the previous 2 years in 'getting it done'. Labour would be history in Leicester East.....faith in pledges to 'build back better', 'high wage economy' and 'levelling-up'. Johnson, once he returns from Marbella, will likely sprinkle some star dust and a few civil servants throughout the east Midlands as he heads towards the A1 and Hartlepool in his big red bus.
If labour loses Leicester East in a by election it will be history full stop. Not just there.

I have read that the wretched Keith Vaz would like to run again. Shirley not.

Mr Jinx

If labour loses Leicester East in a by election it will be history full stop. Not just there.

I have read that the wretched Keith Vaz would like to run again. Shirley not.
But Al, even if he did, he'd still be elected there. The Tories don't stand a chance. Leicester is no Hartlepool. There's a definite divide taking place where the white working class are falling behind the Tories. There is very few of those in Leicester East.

tonykellowfan

Webbe won her seat with a majority of 6,019, down from Vaz’s more than 22,000 two years earlier. The Conservatives’ vote share increased from 24.2% in 2017 to 38.6% last time.

Alistair20000

But Al, even if he did, he'd still be elected there. The Tories don't stand a chance. Leicester is no Hartlepool. There's a definite divide taking place where the white working class are falling behind the Tories. There is very few of those in Leicester East.
I agree entirely Jinxy. The Tory surge there in 2019 was a surprise to me.

I did not intend to suggest Vaz would lose if chosen to fight the seat. Rather that Labour would not select him as the their candidate.

The seat profile is most unpromising for the Tories:

Leicester East has a relatively high Asian population. In the 2011 census, two-thirds of the population were non-white and 48.5% of people described themselves as Asian. Almost a third of the population are Hindu and the majority of others of Asian ethnicity are of Muslim or Sikh faiths. Those of mixed ethnicities are gradually increasing — to 3.1% of the population in 2011.

DB9

I'd thought with the Asian vote and their strict family values Vaz would be the last person they'd vote for, All they need to do is look at that video of him (As a washing machine engineer🤔🙄)

Alistair20000

Breaking news that Tory MP Sir David Amess stabbed multiple times this morning in his constituency surgery. No news on his condition.

angelic upstart

Breaking news that Tory MP Sir David Amess stabbed multiple times this morning in his constituency surgery. No news on his condition.
Every couple of years a politician is hurt or killed, it's bloody disgusting that people do this.

tavyred

Angela Rayner getting some stick on SM.

angelic upstart

Angela Rayner getting some stick on SM.
What? Because of Amess?
Absolute madness if so.