• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why wouldn’t we?
The pressure would be huge over here to stop the highly dangerous crossings. I can’t imagine a situation where a group of U.K. plod would stand and watch a large group of asylum seekers (inc. small children) walk away and take 15 minutes to get the outboard motor going when they could easily intervene. Heads would roll over here for such dereliction of duty.
Most British voters would expect the police to help them drag the boat down the beach.

elginCity

If it were the UK with a problem with illegal crossings into busy shipping lanes from the UK, you’d have a point.
We don’t, so you don’t.
Illegal entry makes a crossing unlawful, not the departure. ‘Just going for a trip round the bay, officer’ isn’t breaking international maritime law, how the French must laugh. £54 million 😂

tavyred

Most British voters would expect the police to help them drag the boat down the beach.

Which is why decent police forces don’t police by public opinion. A perennial problem in France it seems.

Oldsmobile-88

Reported that the government are to give the green light to a additional ‘green levy’ on gas bills ! 😳
More madness coming down the line(no pun intended)

manc grecian

Still won't get Mrs Manc to HTFU up in the shower.

Oldsmobile-88

Still won't get Mrs Manc to HTFU up in the shower.
Turn the boiler off,she will soon jump out 😎

angelic upstart

Which is why decent police forces don’t police by public opinion. A perennial problem in France it seems.
What makes you think that it's a perennial problem in France? Only in the last few weeks our own police service were providing cups of tea and not arresting various guises of XR whilst they were out and about in various parts of the country.

angelic upstart

Reported that the government are to give the green light to a additional ‘green levy’ on gas bills ! 😳
More madness coming down the line(no pun intended)
Insanity, more back door tax rises from our "low tax" conservative government.

tavyred

What makes you think that it's a perennial problem in France? Only in the last few weeks our own police service were providing cups of tea and not arresting various guises of XR whilst they were out and about in various parts of the country.
It would help if you compared like with like AU. I’m not aware of the cup of tea approach to dealing with these idiots blocking the public highway, they are being confronted, arrested and fined, only to appear somewhere else the next day. Unlike the news report I saw yesterday from France, in comparison there is no watching brief being employed by the British plod.
The police in northern France are historically famous for standing around and watching as various groups of disgruntled French citizenry show their displeasure. French fisher people are currently planning a blockade of Calais in a week or two, I’m not expecting a robust response from the authorities if I’m honest, are you?
It must be a cultural thing.

angelic upstart

It would help if you compared like with like AU. I’m not aware of the cup of tea approach to dealing with these idiots blocking the public highway, they are being confronted, arrested and fined, only to appear somewhere else the next day. Unlike the news report I saw yesterday from France, in comparison there is no watching brief being employed by the British plod.
The police in northern France are historically famous for standing around and watching as various groups of disgruntled French citizenry show their displeasure. French fisher people are currently planning a blockade of Calais in a week or two, I’m not expecting a robust response from the authorities if I’m honest, are you?
It must be a cultural thing.
I put a video on this very thread a couple weeks back showing exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting is happening. We all saw XR blockading streets in London for days on end, with little to no arrests.

What do you expect the french police to do when calais gets blockaded? I doubt they give a monkeys as it won't affect France. As a nation we need to be able to overcome things like this instead of pointlessly finger pointing.

It's all rather silly, we need to find solutions, not blame everyone else for things we don't have a solution for.