Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
BJ deserves to be confronted with the lack of a FTA with the US, but let’s not overstate it’s importance. Trade between the two is still massive. 🤷‍♂️
You say that but we were told this new deal was heralded as THE deal, It was suppose to be part of "Global Britain" The truth is as soon as Biden got in any trade deal was very unlikely, Remember when asked about the UK Biden's answer was "I'm Irish"

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
You say that but we were told this new deal was heralded as THE deal, It was suppose to be part of "Global Britain" The truth is as soon as Biden got in any trade deal was very unlikely, Remember when asked about the UK Biden's answer was "I'm Irish"
You’re right to flag up that a trade deal needs the two sides to want one and just to repeat my earlier that point BJ will get deserved opprobrium for not getting what he promised, not least from bitter remoaners who will seize on it with gusto.
In the big scheme of though, it ain’t no biggie. 🤷‍♂️

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting article on the geopolitics surrounding France/EU and the AUKUS security pact.

DB9

You’re right to flag up that a trade deal needs the two sides to want one and just to repeat my earlier that point BJ will get deserved opprobrium for not getting what he promised, not least from bitter remoaners who will seize on it with gusto.
In the big scheme of though, it ain’t no biggie. 🤷‍♂️
He's getting very good at not delivering on his promises. You might say it's "No Biggie" but if he was there signing a deal you'd been shouting from the rafters.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's getting very good at not delivering on his promises. You might say it's "No Biggie" but if he was there signing a deal you'd been shouting from the rafters.
........and you, if you mentioned it all would be downplaying it’s significance or perhaps criticising it for being skewed too much to suit the US.
We’re all slaves to our own personal bias DB, including you. 🙄

DB9

........and you, if you mentioned it all would be downplaying it’s significance or perhaps criticising it for being skewed too much to suit the US.
We’re all slaves to our own personal bias DB, including you. 🙄
No, This deal unlike some others that have been agreed would be a "Biggie" imho and still will be if Biden is kicked out in 2024 and a Republican got in and agreed one. My own personal bias is that Johnson claims to be a "Man of the people" and in truth he wouldn't p**s on you if you were on fire unless there is something in it for him.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, This deal unlike some others that have been agreed would be a "Biggie" imho and still will be if Biden is kicked out in 2024 and a Republican got in and agreed one. My own personal bias is that Johnson claims to be a "Man of the people" and in truth he wouldn't p**s on you if you were on fire unless there is something in it for him.
Your opinion on BJ’s character is not an original one and some would say a hackneyed and lazy one, the fact is he remains the most successful politician of his generation and I can’t see anyone laying a hand on him electorally anytime soon such is his popularity and the lack of an alternative.
A FTA with the US should it ever come might be a ‘biggie’ but no one can force a country in the midst of one it’s “America first” periods to grant one. It is interesting to see those who were one criticising the thought of Trump brokered deal and the ramifications for the NHS now bemoaning the lack of one with Biden, who would’ve also wanted an ‘in’ for the US healthcare sector as well. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Your opinion on BJ’s character is not an original one and some would say a hackneyed and lazy one, the fact is he remains the most successful politician of his generation and I can’t see anyone laying a hand on him electorally anytime soon such is his popularity and the lack of an alternative.
A FTA with the US should it ever come might be a ‘biggie’ but no one can force a country in the midst of one it’s “America first” periods to grant one. It is interesting to see those who were one criticising the thought of Trump brokered deal and the ramifications for the NHS now bemoaning the lack of one with Biden, who would’ve also wanted an ‘in’ for the US healthcare sector as well. 🤷‍♂️
No, You would say my opinion is that, He was successful because of what happened in 2016-19 and saw the result needed to be respected, A FTA needs two sides to agree like you say but our negotiators would have said (I hope) the NHS was off limits No matter who's in the WH. I'm not going to put him on the pedestal that you have eyed up for him just yet thanks.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, You would say my opinion is that, He was successful because of what happened in 2016-19 and saw the result needed to be respected, A FTA needs two sides to agree like you say but our negotiators would have said (I hope) the NHS was off limits No matter who's in the WH. I'm not going to put him on the pedestal that you have eyed up for him just yet thanks.
There were plenty saying that the post referendum Tory Governments would’ve sacrificed the NHS such was/is their desperation for a FTA with the US, despite assurances otherwise. Should a FTA become imminent, expect the narrative to revert back from BJ’s failure to get one, to OMG he’s going to sell the NHS to the Yanks again. 🙄
BJ’s electoral success pre dates 2016 I’m afraid, he was voted in as London mayor not once but twice.
He’s an electoral phenomenon and doesn’t need my perceived adoration or indeed your oft used critiques of his character.