• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn't that why the ONS records are more accurate as they only record a "Covid" death of it is on the death certificate as the primary cause or a contributory factor and they differentiate between the two?
No idea Rosy...It seems a grey area.

Oldsmobile-88

All the energy companies go bust once the initial funding runs out.
Unless you are one of the big six cartel.
Its when these smaller companies have to pay the transmission charges to gas/electricity distributors they get caught out.

This was all predicted 25 years ago by people who had a lifetime in the energy industry.They of course were not listened to.

tavyred

I treat all these figures with some caution given that someone who dies in an accident within 28 days of a positive Covid death goes down in that stats as a Covid death. Some evidence too that Covid was put down as cause of death last year irrespective of the true cause including cases where the doctor said this would speed up release of the body.
I think we can safely say that the U.K. has one of the broadest definitions of a COVID death, that won’t deter folks like Elgy of course who are desperate to pin every death on the nasty Tories. 🙄

DB9

Ms Patel authorises Border Agency to turn back migrant boats that come across the channel, Couple of questions, How will this work in practice and would the French just do the same?

tavyred

Ms Patel authorises Border Agency to turn back migrant boats that come across the channel, Couple of questions, How will this work in practice and would the French just do the same?
Hmm. Interesting.
I suspect it’s a bit of bluster from an under pressure HS.

DB9

Hmm. Interesting.
I suspect it’s a bit of bluster from an under pressure HS.
I know it looks good for headlines to a certain section but without co-operation from the French side its as you say bluster. The sight of boats trying to go back and forth across the busiest water crossing in the world won't look good for either nation, Just needs one boat to sink and people drowning and the shit would hit the fan.

NB: I have no answer to this "Crisis" but it does need to be sorted and "Stunts" like what Ms Patel is authorising won't help (My opinion like)

elginCity

I think we can safely say that the U.K. has one of the broadest definitions of a COVID death, that won’t deter folks like Elgy of course who are desperate to pin every death on the nasty Tories. 🙄
Tav, put any death figure on it you like, Government, ONS or the Covid research bioscientist I quoted, accountability for Government decisions, actions and inactions is what I'd like to see. Recent Government Covid figures alone makes for grim reading, notwithstanding anyone else's interpretation.

The substantive point I raised i.e Johnson's pathetic record to date means he is in no position to resign, his only way out of this mess right now is to be pushed, yourself and Al don't address. One big problem for Johnson though ... who would want to sieze the poisoned challice right now ?

Working class Brexiters from Hartlepool who voted OUT for the £350 million a week for the NHS, or to take back control, or to stop migrants, are now seeing their tax bills being hiked instead. This is just the start, but keep waving your flag.

Last edited:

tavyred

I know it looks good for headlines to a certain section but without co-operation from the French side its as you say bluster. The sight of boats trying to go back and forth across the busiest water crossing in the world won't look good for either nation, Just needs one boat to sink and people drowning and the **** would hit the fan.

NB: I have no answer to this "Crisis" but it does need to be sorted and "Stunts" like what Ms Patel is authorising won't help (My opinion like)
Not a lot can be done if the French aren’t interested in their own border security.
I guess the only thing you can do is reduce pull of the U.K. among these people. Offshore processing of asylum claims may help, but it’s doesn’t sit right and probably wouldn’t get past our courts. Denmark are considering making their asylum seekers work a 37 hour week I understand.

elginCity

I guess the only thing you can do is reduce pull of the U.K. among these people.
They don't want to come here for the weather, the 'pull' is very often family. Good luck with that.

Alistair20000

Tav, put any death figure on it you like, Government, ONS or the Covid research bioscientist I quoted, accountability for Government decisions, actions and inactions is what I'd like to see. Recent Government Covid figures alone makes for grim reading, notwithstanding anyone else's interpretation.

The substantive point I raised i.e Johnson's pathetic record to date means he is in no position to resign, his only way out of this mess right now is to be pushed, yourself and Al don't address. One big problem for Johnson though ... who would want to sieze the poisoned challice right now ?

Working class Brexiters from Hartlepool who voted OUT for the £350 million a week for the NHS, or to take back control, or to stop migrants, are now seeing their tax bills being hiked instead. This is just the start, but keep waving your flag.
I prefer to see the outcome of the Covid Inquiry in due course. One clear mistake early on was releasing patients from hospital into care homes.

As regards a Tory replacement for Boris if he stands down or is given the The Elbow, they will be queuing up to take on the job.