• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plenty of empty shelves everywhere I go in East Devon

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Plenty of empty shelves everywhere I go in East Devon
All the delivery lorries have obviously been hijacked and diverted to West Devon.

Mr Jinx

A Brexit issue or a COVID induced combination of Lorry driver shortages and the unprecedented amount of visitors pitching their tents in Cornwall and needing to shop for the essentials?
Probably both, but I'd imagine Covid is playing much more of a role. Foreign lorry drivers are probably quite wary now about leaving their country of origin given the kerfuffle around testing and all that nonsense. And who can blame them.

tavyred

Dunno, I just want some food.
Send food parcels to Newquay ASAP.
#prayfornewquay

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Covid has been a godsend for the Brexiteers of course. Any problems that might have been down to Brexit can be blamed on covid, and they can now point to the post-covid recovery and say look how good things are going post-brexit.

We'll probably never know what the actual impact of brexit was because covid has muddied the water so much.

tavyred

There is something peculiarly middle class and ‘Remoanery’ about people complaining about the odd empty supermarket shelf.
A bit like the posh London woman on BBC QT that time worrying about who will prepare her coffee and sandwich in ‘Pret’ if we left the EU. 🙄

Mr Jinx

Covid has been a godsend for the Brexiteers of course. Any problems that might have been down to Brexit can be blamed on covid, and they can now point to the post-covid recovery and say look how good things are going post-brexit.

We'll probably never know what the actual impact of brexit was because covid has muddied the water so much.
A godsend for Remainers too who've been all too quick to shoehorn Brexit into things which all too obviously have been solely impacted due to Covid.

Covid did to the economy what the BOE predicted a Leave vote would immediately do back in June 2016 (but didn't).

Alistair20000

There is something peculiarly middle class and ‘Remoanery’ about people complaining about the odd empty supermarket shelf.
A bit like the posh London woman on BBC QT that time worrying about who will prepare her coffee and sandwich in ‘Pret’ if we left the EU. 🙄
A high up in the retail sector was talking about the problems on the wireless this morning. First and foremost he said we are not going to run out of food and a lot of the problems are First World issues. I took this as what The Cheese used to call "high quality problems"

He also said the problems were more Covid generated than Brexit.

Not sure if he is right of course but it sounded plausible.

P.S. He said he had been the archest remainer of all.

Alistair20000

Dunno, I just want some food.
Wild mushrooms in the fields, blackberries in the hedgerows.

Get foraging fred :)

Mr Jinx

and a lot of the problems are First World issues.
Yes, I do often wonder how our N21 neighbourhood would cope without their weekly intake of Roquefort!