Politics Today

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
By that rational, surely you'd agree that we need to remove fptp for every election?

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
By that rational, surely you'd agree that we need to remove fptp for every election?
As I'm a previous UKIP and Brexit Party voter...absolutely!

Would love to have seen Farage in a prominent Cabinet role (probably Deputy PM) in a coalition.

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
…… To suggest as you are that other voters were swayed by the rags and their anti EU/immigrant rhetoric is to say that you were clever enough to see through that rhetoric and others were not and thus the UKIP agenda took hold in the minds of those ‘not so clever as you’ voters……
I suggest you read my post again, the rise of UKIP resulted from fears over the European migrant crisis and unfettered Eastern European immigration to the UK ( in contrast to the vast majority of EU countries that imposed available transition controls for 7 years ). No idea whether the press influences voters, or merely reflects their views, but anti-migrant and anti-EU front pages would sell copy, that is undeniable. Mrs May is very ‘clever’, and I believe her to be xenophobic and stated as much in my post, so nowt to do with anyone being clever enough to see through media rhetoric, Tav. The press and UKIP merely stoked the fires already burning within.

Mr Jinx

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suggest you read my post again, the rise of UKIP resulted from fears over the European migrant crisis and unfettered Eastern European immigration to the UK ( in contrast to the vast majority of EU countries that imposed available transition controls for 7 years ). No idea whether the press influences voters, or merely reflects their views, but anti-migrant and anti-EU front pages would sell copy, that is undeniable. Mrs May is very ‘clever’, and I believe her to be xenophobic and stated as much in my post, so nowt to do with anyone being clever enough to see through media rhetoric, Tav. The press and UKIP merely stoked the fires already burning within.
A rather simplistic view there from Elgin as is often the case with Remainers. No mention of sovereignty of course. No mention of Gordon Brown sneaking through the back door to sign the Lisbon treaty. The truth is things were much more nuanced (although immigration was a big player admittedly).

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have our sovereignty, we have control of our borders. What now? What's the plan?
What a bizarre thing to say.
To quote the great Basil Fawlty, “Madam, what were you expecting to see through a Torquay hotel bedroom window?”.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a bizarre thing to say.
To quote the great Basil Fawlty, “Madam, what were you expecting to see through a Torquay hotel bedroom window?”.
Why is it bizarre? I'm merely asking, what the plan after Brexit is. A very reasonable question.