• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see according to the Tory rebel MP’s, the UK’s temporary 0.2% of gdp cut in foreign aid will be difference between thousands of children living or dying. 🙄

angelic upstart

I see according to the Tory rebel MP’s, the UK’s temporary 0.2% of gdp cut in foreign aid will be difference between thousands of children living or dying. 🙄
Also worth noting that the UK is one of very few countries that has ever paid the 0.7% (UN recommended target) figure and only has done since 2013. It was as low as 0.3% in the late 90s.

In my opinion, one of those beat the conservatives with a stick unfairly stories.

IndoMike

While house prices going up if you intend to stay and bequeath your home to your family is good news, It just makes it virtually impossible to get on that first step or if you want to move into a bigger home, Yes your home is worth more but what you'd like to move into will also cost more.
Absolutely 100% spot on.

tavyred

Also worth noting that the UK is one of very few countries that has ever paid the 0.7% (UN recommended target) figure and only has done since 2013. It was as low as 0.3% in the late 90s.

In my opinion, one of those beat the conservatives with a stick unfairly stories.
Indeed.
Why do we put the guilt trip solely on ourselves?
I’d have more respect if at the same time as accusing the U.K. Government of enacting a policy that will apparently kill children they condemned in withering terms all the other countries that even with this cut consistently fail to meet U.K. levels of foreign aid.
One of the big mistakes of the Cameron austerity era was that ordinary people saw their own vital public services cut by Osborne, yet at the same time Tory MP’s were able to boast at dinner parties with the chattering classes about the protected foreign aid budget.
The public don’t forget.

Alistair20000

How much of the foreign aid gets to the intended recipients anyway ?

DB9

This is the bit where it can get "Cloudy" I did read somewhere the a dam good % of our aid does go to the recipients who need it, Into the 90% which is good but of course there are countries where it is "Diverted" to various bank accounts of Government officials and IMHO if a country like China, The 2nd biggest economy needs aid they are rich enough to do it themselves, Also India, Where this country is involved in the space race, Has a huge Nuclear Arsenal and one of the biggest militaries in the world but seems not to care about their own population and also have this awful Caste system should be able to help their own too.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of the money that is spent in the least developed bracket of the DAC list, either directly or indirectly impacts the intended recipients. I've been involved in DFID tenders, and the amount of bureaucracy and due diligence required on everyone involved is staggering.

There are of course a few arguments over whether the aid is spent in the best way possible, but it does at least go towards projects that have the aim of making life better for the poorest people.

It is right to flag China and India as possible question marks - one would suspect that aid there has more than a little to do with trade negotiations. They remain, however, on the DAC list, so minds outside of the UK (the OECD) have decided they require aid.

angelic upstart

DFID is no more though? Or am I just being dimmer than usual?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
DFID is no more though? Or am I just being dimmer than usual?
DFID no longer exists as a separate department, but its funding streams still exist under the merged foreign office.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of the money that is spent in the least developed bracket of the DAC list, either directly or indirectly impacts the intended recipients. I've been involved in DFID tenders, and the amount of bureaucracy and due diligence required on everyone involved is staggering.

There are of course a few arguments over whether the aid is spent in the best way possible, but it does at least go towards projects that have the aim of making life better for the poorest people.

It is right to flag China and India as possible question marks - one would suspect that aid there has more than a little to do with trade negotiations. They remain, however, on the DAC list, so minds outside of the UK (the OECD) have decided they require aid.
Just to add, I think I'm right in saying that not a huge amount of direct aid goes to China or India. I think they only been benefit from indirect aid. I could be wrong, however.