• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
But i do believe the fishing thing was a "Symbol" of us "Taking Back Control" or was used by the Leave campaign for that purpose when really the fact was as you say fishing is only a tiny % of money earnt for the UK and as a nation we alone don't eat fish in large enough numbers to help in industry alone, They need to be able to export back to the EU. As one Fisherman says its 95% of his business selling to the EU.
Yes, and we managed to feck our own small inshore sustainable fishermen perfectly well ourselves, without any help from the EU

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can’t understand why the SNP keep on banging on about joining the EU in a future post independent Scotland ?

It will take years to unravel from the UK.That would have to be the priority in a post independent Scotland.
Because it suits their narrative of grievance that they were dragged out, conveniently forgetting they had advocated the same thing 6 years earlier.

Of course there is a massive gap between leaving the UK and then joining, not re-joining, the EU. A gap of a decade. Not that any nationalist will ever admit it.

Lies and populism do not start and end at No. 10 however inconvenient it is to admit.

tavyred

But i do believe the fishing thing was a "Symbol" of us "Taking Back Control" or was used by the Leave campaign for that purpose when really the fact was as you say fishing is only a tiny % of money earnt for the UK and as a nation we alone don't eat fish in large enough numbers to help in industry alone, They need to be able to export back to the EU. As one Fisherman says its 95% of his business selling to the EU.
If memory serves DB, posters like you and I a few months back were making the point about the totemic importance of fishing in response to those who couldn’t or wouldn’t understand why fishing was so important in the negotiations. I do note however that fishing has become a totemic issue for the rejoiners all of a sudden. 🙄

Alistair20000

We did have a chat about this yesterday morning (post 24352) - Elgy dismissed it as an inside job! https://www.exeweb.com/forums/threads/politics-today.61134/page-2436

I do think it encapsulates what Laura Kuenssberg is. She's a perfectly good journalist with lots of contacts as this article demonstrates. But it is an unstructured ramble through her address book, with lots of gossip and anecdotes sprinkled about, seemingly at random. i.e., she may be a half decent journalist, but no way has she the calibre to be a political editor, let alone that of the national broadcaster.

She also lacks any depth or historical perspective - everything is in the now. It was toe curlingly embarrassing watching her in the small hours after the 2017 election - her contribution to the learned punditry was "I'm just hearing that...." rather than any deeper analysis of what was going on. The 2019 Euro elections were even worse - she got hugely excited that the Brexit Party "only formed a few weeks ago" was getting so many votes until John Curtice pointed out the bleeding obvious which was that the BP vote was almost identical to the UKIP vote the last time round.

It is this mediocrity of hers that sometimes comes across as bias. She was roundly told off by economists last year for using the phrase "maxed out the credit card". This is a classic piece of Tory spin, but I think her use of it was down to a lack of understanding of basic economics, rater than any willful bias
I make her a League 1 journo.

A typical BBC appointment where talent was subsidiary to political correctness. Her deputy John Pienaar was far superior but had the disadvantage of being a white English male born in Middlesex who supports Crystal Palace.

arthur

If memory serves DB, posters like you and I a few months back were making the point about the totemic importance of fishing in response to those who couldn’t or wouldn’t understand why fishing was so important in the negotiations. I do note however that fishing has become a totemic issue for the rejoiners all of a sudden. 🙄
Perhaps because the totemic fishermen were the first to be so demonstrably let down by the oven ready Brexit deal that would take back control of our fishing waters. And the latest in a long line of people discovering that Johnson's promises are entirely worthless.
In that sense they can form an orderly queue with the DUP, Andrew Mitchell, Johnny Mercer, the Haulage industry and countless others. There's a place in that queue for you as well Tavers when you finally accept what is staring you in the face - Johnson is a hopeless inadequate, entirely unsuited to the job he finds himself in.

arthur

I make her a League 1 journo.

A typical BBC appointment where talent was subsidiary to political correctness. Her deputy John Pienaar was far superior but had the disadvantage of being a white English male born in Middlesex who supports Crystal Palace.
Do you only listen to Pienaar on the wireless Al? I'm not sure his skin colour is as you state...

tavyred

Perhaps because the totemic fishermen were the first to be so demonstrably let down by the oven ready Brexit deal that would take back control of our fishing waters. And the latest in a long line of people discovering that Johnson's promises are entirely worthless.
In that sense they can form an orderly queue with the DUP, Andrew Mitchell, Johnny Mercer, the Haulage industry and countless others. There's a place in that queue for you as well Tavers when you finally accept what is staring you in the face - Johnson is a hopeless inadequate, entirely unsuited to the job he finds himself in.
I think I’m on record as saying I’ll fess up if Brexit turns out to be the disaster you hope it is. On balance, it’s going OK at the macro level at the moment though IMO.

Alistair20000

Do you only listen to Pienaar on the wireless Al? I'm not sure his skin colour is as you state...
These days yes just the wireless but he used to be on the TV a lot. His skin colour is interesting, not that it should make any difference. Just looking at some pics this morning he can look white or dusky. The surname is South African in origin I think. Wonder if there is some mixed ancestry ?

tavyred

John Pienaar is cape coloured which in today’s more politically correct parlance probably makes him black.

angelic upstart

I think I’m on record as saying I’ll fess up if Brexit turns out to be the disaster you hope it is. On balance, it’s going OK at the macro level at the moment though IMO.
I don't think that brexit will be a disaster. I just think those that thought it might make a difference have been had. My primary concern is the potential lowering of standards within food and workers rights. If the UK keep or improve those standards (which I'm fairly sure they won't) I don't really care about where I buy my fish, or if I have to pay slightly more for it.

I don't see much upside currently. However, these things take time and in five or so years we'll have a clearer picture of what life will be like post leaving the EU. Arguably, it'll take longer than that to fully untie the knots, so to speak.