• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
The money supply, the billions created by the BoE to support furlough payments etc has coincided with less productivity/tax returns. To avoid inflation,nay hyperinflation, this excess money has to be removed. Increasing taxes goes totally against the grain for the Tories, but it's the only way. Now that they, and their mates, have taken a slice.

For anyone who is suggesting the Leopard has changed its spots overnight, dream on !

Alistair20000

The main thing I learnt from yesterday's budget: Rishi Sunak is only 5 foot 5"

I always thought he was over 6 foot for some reason. He must wear trousers for like a 12 year old.
Dear old Pate won't be selecting The Dish to play in goal then :)

Mr Jinx

So it's all gone a bit quiet today on the Sturgeon/Salmon front.

What are the next steps? How might this all pan out? Would someone better in the know please enlighten, thanks.

tavyred

So it's all gone a bit quiet today on the Sturgeon/Salmon front.

What are the next steps? How might this all pan out? Would someone better in the know please enlighten, thanks.
I think RP is yer man on this.
My gut feeling is this isn’t over, apparently in response to Sturgeon’s amnesia on many of the questions posed to her yesterday Salmond has provided the inquiry 40 additional items of evidence to hammer home his submissions of Friday. I can’t help but think Salmond is sitting on something big and is just biding his time before he goes for it.

elginCity

Who cares ? Two politicians, one of whom is lying, but who knows which one.

Impressive 8 hours spent under the grill for 'wee Krankie' though, obfuscating and evading for Scotland. Can't imagine Spaff coping for 8 minutes ! :ROFLMAO:

elginCity

Meanwhile....

Another legal spat with 'our friends and partners' across the moat.

tavyred

Wee Nippy was very impressive it has to be said.
That said, I do think she is very adept at the bullsh*t baffles brains approach.

IndoMike

Dear old Pate won't be selecting The Dish to play in goal then :)
Changing subject slightlly.

"Excellent Q from @MishalHusain: is it no longer your belief that lower business taxes lead to higher tax receipts? @RishiSunak says receipts rose during cuts to corporation tax but that was more likely 'cyclical'. V signif answer that may not endear him to Tory MPs".

Do you agree with Rishi that lowering business taxes do not lead to higher tax receipts?
I'm not trying to score points here : I wish to learn, as a person who is useless with money

Alistair20000

Changing subject slightlly.

"Excellent Q from @MishalHusain: is it no longer your belief that lower business taxes lead to higher tax receipts? @RishiSunak says receipts rose during cuts to corporation tax but that was more likely 'cyclical'. V signif answer that may not endear him to Tory MPs".

Do you agree with Rishi that lowering business taxes do not lead to higher tax receipts?
I'm not trying to score points here : I wish to learn, as a person who is useless with money
Our Jason is the expert in these matters Mike; the Laffer Curve and all that.

tavyred

Meanwhile....

Another legal spat with 'our friends and partners' across the moat.

Just as your West Devon correspondent predicted, rumblings on the Unionist paramilitaries side.
I hope the EU Commission don’t think they can back the U.K. Government into a corner on this.