• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whether the Scots have grounds or not I say let the feckers have their vote.

Spell out the relationship they will have with the rest of the U.K. first mind. Fair but no favours.

And make it clear they will pay for half the cost of the wall and can have the likes of Nicky Campbell back.
There is a massive amount of work needed to educate your average Scottish separatist as to what independence would actually mean. I had a conversation with a cybernat the other day who thought that his state pension would still come via the U.K. Treasury come independence. Bless him he thought he had his own little pot of money that was his alone. 🙄

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok. I've read up on Salmond
If I had to bet on this I'd say that he is doing his best to avoid the issue and muddy the waters to save his own bacon.

I believe Sturgeon when she says this about
Salmond....

“Maybe creating an alternative reality in which the organs of the state [were] all part of some wild conspiracy against him, for reasons I can’t explain, maybe that’s just easier than accepting at the root of all this might just have been issues in his own behaviour,” she said. “But that’s for him to explain, if he ever decides to pitch up and sit in front of the committee.”

The alternative opinion is too far:fetched and dramatic for a bunch of dour Scots
Martin Kettle in the Guardian today has a well balanced summary article on the situation and its possible implications which is good reading. One line I'd take from in in particular which gives a lie to Sturgeon's increasingly frantic panic. "From the start, Salmond alleged abuse of process against Sturgeon’s team. He won a separate court case on this issue in 2019."

Salmond has tried - 3 times - to "pitch up and sit in front of the committee" - but 3 times his evidence has been struck out, and so what is the point in "pitching up", if he is not allowed to say what he wants to say, despite the Court saying his evidence would not be in Contempt of Court? More deflection. Whether Salmond is right or wrong is wholly irrelevant. He has been called in front of the Committee (which is an enquiry into the way the SG handled the investigation, NOT some sort of retrial), submitted his evidence and it keeps being redacted on ever more spurious grounds.

I won't comment anymore on the rights and wrongs of the referendum, we disagree. That's all.

lamrobhero

To repeat what I have said before if Scotland is somehow "dependent" on England. this indicates that the Union is not working. Maybe the fear on the Right is that an independent Scotland, propsperous, progressive and part of the Eurozone wil expose the paucity of their own policies. From afar the Republic of Ireland seems to have managed it.

Last edited:

DB9

To repeat what I have said before if Scotland is somehow "dependent" on England. this indicates that the Union is not working. Maybe the fear on the Right is that an independent Scotland, propsperous, progressive and part of the Eurozone wil expose the paucity of their own policies. From afar the Republic of Ireland seems to have managed it.
Perhaps you need to see what the ROI was like before Joining the EU, An independent Scotland won't be able to join the EU straight away, Minimum 10 yrs they say, With no UK money and outside the EU Scotland will not be a place you'd want to live, It won't be a wasteland but it will be very poor.

elginCity

Perhaps you need to see what the ROI was like before Joining the EU, An independent Scotland won't be able to join the EU straight away, Minimum 10 yrs they say, With no UK money and outside the EU Scotland will not be a place you'd want to live, It won't be a wasteland but it will be very poor.
Project Fear.

DB9

Project Fear.
No, Just a fact, If Scotland decided to leave, They can't just pull up to Brussels and join the EU the next day, That was made clear by the EU during indyref 1. Scotland will find it difficult on their own there is no doubt and its something the SNP seem to want to gloss over.

elginCity

No, Just a fact, If Scotland decided to leave, They can't just pull up to Brussels and join the EU the next day, That was made clear by the EU during indyref 1. Scotland will find it difficult on their own there is no doubt and its something the SNP seem to want to gloss over.
Scotland is a mid-ranking performing OECD economy in its own right, plenty of whisky and salmon, and still some oil and gas to export. There’ll be some bumps in the road, but they are a canny, industrious and patriotic bunch - they’d be afforded a warm welcome on returning to the European family, unlike some. Probably fast tracked membership as the country’s MO is aligned already with the EU single market. They’ll be fine, DB, you shouldn’t fret about them.

DB9

Scotland is a mid-ranking performing OECD economy in its own right, plenty of whisky and salmon, and still some oil and gas to export. There’ll be some bumps in the road, but they are a canny, industrious and patriotic bunch - they’d be afforded a warm welcome on returning to the European family, unlike some. Probably fast tracked membership as the country’s MO is aligned already with the EU single market. They’ll be fine, DB, you shouldn’t fret about them.
All ifs and buts about being fast tracked. If that happens then some other nations who want to join will cry foul and say "What about us?" They do well because they're in the UK, I just don't think they'll find life easy outside of the UK and waiting to join the EU.

tavyred

If the SNP and it’s supporters were offering up the idea of independence as the antidote to being dependent on England then you would have a point. They aren’t.
Bizarrely they are denying the quite evident English subsidy and are even denying the quite clear choice that will fall on the Scottish Government on independence, that being do they slash public spending in order to sort out their massive budget deficit or do they raise taxes exponentially to cover it.
There is nothing stopping Scotland becoming an independent nation akin to the ROI, but let’s not deny the 10+ years of abject poverty they will have to endure before they got there.

elginCity

WTF !

54971614245921773.png